Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Licenses for Windows Server 2008, Office 2007, Terminal Server and Exchange

Licenses for Windows Server 2008, Office 2007, Terminal Server and Exchange

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 7169 times

Closed Thread

Old 8th March 2009, 20:59
It's not a coincidence

6 month star 12 month star
Question Licenses for Windows Server 2008, Office 2007, Terminal Server and Exchange

Hey guys,

I'm pretty much a newbie but I have extensive background in computers. A friend of mine asked me about the following scenario and I wasn't sure so I figured I'd post here:

An IT company is quoting a job for my friend. As it is they are charging too much for labor and the servers, but one things really stood out. They want licensing fees for

a) Windows Server 2008 - 20 CAL's @ $32 each

b) Terminal Server - 20 CAL's @ $83 each

c) Office 2007 Standard - 20 licenses @ $345 each

d) Exchange Server 2008 - 30 CAL's @ $62 each

My question is, is it necessary to get all these licenses and CAL's, or can, for example, the CAL for Server 2008 include the Exchange Mailbox?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old 8th March 2009, 22:17

Reputation: Virtual is a jewel in the roughVirtual is a jewel in the roughVirtual is a jewel in the rough (286)
Default Re: Licenses for Windows Server 2008, Office 2007, Terminal Server and Exchange

I assume you mean Exchange 2007 licensing.

Yes, you need all of those. If your a company, the prices seem reasonable. If your an educational establishment, they are ripping you off.
Old 9th March 2009, 00:05
Administrator

Reputation: biggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to behold (875)
Default Re: Licenses for Windows Server 2008, Office 2007, Terminal Server and Exchange

kingbear2, your prices mean absolutely nothing without knowing where in the world you are. If I was given those CAL prices in OZ, I would be purchasing twice as many as I needed because for us here those prices are very cheap indeed. Don't forget that when you purchase the Server product it comes with 5 CALs so make sure you don't over purchase (or under purchase either) the required nuber of CALs.

The Office 2007 licences do seem rather high as well.

Without knowing what the business requirements are it is difficult to give advice with the little information you have supplied. If your friend has such a small number of users then SBS2008 may be a better option for you to look at.

As for the other work being over charged, that too depends on what is actually being done.

Post back with some more details, server models, hardware included, number of servers etc, what work is being done like data transfer, workstation setup & configuration etc and especially your worldly location and I am sure someone will be able to offer some viable alternatives.

The labour prices may be high due to a lot of time consuming work being done. (For example, when I was setting up a single server in a school it would take 16 to 24 hours to install, configure and transer user data to the new server. It depends what was on the old machine)
"There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!" Kenneth Lee - after being shot down during the Battle of Britain on the 18th August 1940.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 13th March 2009, 07:00
It's not a coincidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles77 View Post
kingbear2, your prices mean absolutely nothing without knowing where in the world you are. If I was given those CAL prices in OZ, I would be purchasing twice as many as I needed because for us here those prices are very cheap indeed. Don't forget that when you purchase the Server product it comes with 5 CALs so make sure you don't over purchase (or under purchase either) the required nuber of CALs.
Prices are for USA

Quote:
The Office 2007 licences do seem rather high as well.
How much do you think I can get them for?

Quote:
Without knowing what the business requirements are it is difficult to give advice with the little information you have supplied. If your friend has such a small number of users then SBS2008 may be a better option for you to look at.

As for the other work being over charged, that too depends on what is actually being done.

Post back with some more details, server models, hardware included, number of servers etc, what work is being done like data transfer, workstation setup & configuration etc and especially your worldly location and I am sure someone will be able to offer some viable alternatives.

The labour prices may be high due to a lot of time consuming work being done. (For example, when I was setting up a single server in a school it would take 16 to 24 hours to install, configure and transer user data to the new server. It depends what was on the old machine)
Thanks for the response. Yes, there is a lot more involved in this project. But it needs to be someone local doing it so I guess we're stuck with the company currently providing us a quote. The labor hours seem to sound more reasonable, but I'm gonna try to see if they will come down on the licensing prices.
Old 13th March 2009, 12:06

Reputation: Virtual is a jewel in the roughVirtual is a jewel in the roughVirtual is a jewel in the rough (286)

I pay 220 UK sterling for commerical license for Office 2k7 Pro. That means your licesning is not expensive unless I am being charged too much.

CALs - 20.00 each at special rate at the moment, again, yours is about that in comparison.
Old 19th March 2009, 16:40
Casual
Casual

Cool Re: Licenses for Windows Server 2008, Office 2007, Terminal Server and Exchange

How to install that CAL to server
Old 19th March 2009, 16:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by thihanlin View Post
How to install that CAL to server

Please review the forum rules. No hijacking allowed on posts. Also, a number of CALs have been mentioned.
Closed Thread