Petri.co.il forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Networking > General Networking
Petri.co.il is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Using Telnet

Using Telnet

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 2782 times

Closed Thread

Old 22nd April 2009, 07:28
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Default Re: Using Telnet

Actually would you mind if I emailed you a jpeg screenshot on what the output was?

What is it I am looking for?
Old 22nd April 2009, 07:40
Casual
Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spots View Post
RAustin-

Yes when I just type in "telnet xxx.xxx.xx.xx" it says it cannot connect to port 23. I used zenmap to find open ports. Also, if you could point me in the direction of better ways of finding open ports that would be helpful.

Also I googled mac telnet service and it seems that you can enable it. But for this purpose I want to connect to the computer booted into XP. In vista I had to enable the telnet server to be able to use it. Would I have to enable the telnet client and/or server on the XP computer? And finally what option allows remote connections through the standard windows firewall?

joeqwerty-

How do I get the machine to listen for connections on any ports? Also, how do I check to see what process is running on the port? I had used zenmap to find open ports. From what I had previously understood was that all I needed was an open port on the remote computer but maybe that's not the case?

Thanks for responding,
Spots
Spots,
NMAP is my choice of program too.

I think, and I may be wrong here but what you need to do is to start the Telnet service (it can be found using Run>servces.msc) on your Windows XP system. To test if the service is running, on the XP machine run telnet 127.0.0.1

For a remote connection from another system you will most likely have to add an exception for port 23 to the firewall if you have one and it's enabled (You could disable a firewall for testing).

In addition, I think (again i may be wrong) but joeqwerty wants you to run netstat on the XP machine the one you are trying to telnet into. The message you are getting about elevated privileges and the paths you have (c:/users...) indicated to me you are running netstat on the vista machine.

Regards,

R Austin
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:08
Casual
Casual

Yes you are right I want to use the Vista machine to connect to the XP machine.

The firewall is off and I just enabled telnet on the XP machine. How do I add an exception to port 23? Is it add port in windows firewall?

Right now when I try and connect it says "could not open connection to host, on port 23"

Also, for some reason the port that was previously open on the XP computer generates the same error message except instead of 23, its the port I put in.

What would you recommend now?
Old 22nd April 2009, 15:36

Reputation: joeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to behold (664)

OK, maybe I have gotten off-track here. What is your ultimate goal? 1. Are you trying to telnet to the XP machine in order to run remote commands or 2. Are you trying to telnet to the XP machine to manipulate and work with a particular service/program/process running on that machine?

If 1. then you need to install the telnet server component on the XP machine and make sure the firewall allows incoming TCP connections to port 23.

If 2. then you need the service/process/program installed on the XP machine and you do not need the telnet server component installed.
Old 22nd April 2009, 17:36
Casual
Casual

I want to run remote commands on the XP machine. In firewall where do I allow TCP connections to port 23? Also I am going to guess that there is probably a download somewhere on google if I just look up "telnet server download."

Anything else I might need to know?

Thanks,
Spots
Closed Thread