Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Client Operating Systems > Windows 7
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Exclude VMware Virtual Adapters from Windows 7 Network Awareness and Windows Firewal

Exclude VMware Virtual Adapters from Windows 7 Network Awareness and Windows Firewal

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 11378 times

Closed Thread

Old 17th April 2010, 13:07
Casual
It's not a coincidence

6 month star 12 month star
Default Exclude VMware Virtual Adapters from Windows 7 Network Awareness and Windows Firewal

Hi, everybody!!
Recently I have studied to take Microsoft TS: Windows 7, Configuring 70-680 exam. I learned to use Winrm and Winrs tools.
Quote:
The Windows Remote Management (WinRM) is the Microsoft implementation of WS-Management Protocol, a standard Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP)-based, firewall-friendly protocol that allows hardware and operating systems, from different vendors, to interoperate.
When I ran winrm quickconfig command on my Windows 7 computer (VmWare is installed on this computer also for learning purposes) I had error in CMD window:

Because the VMware virtual network adapters appear to be in a “Public network”, Windows thinks that the whole machine is exposed to a public network, and it triggers the public profile for Windows Firewall. While in most cases this helps protect the entire computer from external access, sometimes you actually need to have external access, and therefore you need to manually change the setting.
I searched for a solution and found an excellent article on Daniel Petri's site:
Exclude VMware Virtual Adapters from Vista/2008 Network Awareness and Windows Firewall
That was exactly what I needed, but... even if I did everything according to this article, when I run Power Shell script on my Windows 7 computer I got following error:

As we can see problem in the script code somewhere here:

Code:
 [netshelter]# adapters key
pushd 'hklm:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}'
I continued searching and found a pretty same Power Shell script that worked on my Windows 7 computer:

Exclude VMware Virtual Adapters from Network Awareness. You can take it from attached file (need to change file extension to PS1 before using this script).

Copy this file to the some place where it be easy navigate to the file, for Example C:\. Next, open a PowerShell prompt. Note that you'll need to run it with elevated credentials (i.e. "Run as Administrator"). Navigate it to the folder where you've placed the script, and execute it. You can type the first letter of the script's name and press TAB to auto complete the script's name.:

When finished, VmWare network adapters will be excluded from Windows 7 Network and Sharing Center and Windows Remote Management (WinRM) can be successfully configured:

And if you for some reason cannot run PS1 script it can be configured manually trough windows registry.

1. Run regedit with elevated privileges.
2. Navigate here:

Code:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
3. You will find enumerated keys like 0000, 0001, 0002 and so on.
4. Expend them one by one and look for DriverDesc REG_SZ value data.
You need to find VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet8 or VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet1 or similar if you have more than 2 VmWare virtual adapters.
5. In the same registry key where you found Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet1 DriverDesc value create another new DWORD Value, name it *NdisDeviceType (it Case Sensitive!!). Double click on this value and in "Value Data" field put 1 as Decimal data:

6. Do the same for all others VmWare virtual network adapters.
7. Restart your computer or just disable/enable VmVare virtual network adapters and you will get the same effect as from running Power Shell script!!

I hope you have found this loooong post useful!!!
Attached Files
File Type: txt fix-vmnet-adapters.txt (2.3 KB, 399 views)

Last edited by igor7; 17th April 2010 at 22:17..
Old 17th April 2010, 13:24

Send a message via Skype™ to tehcamel
 Reputation: tehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to behold (717)
Default Re: Exclude VMware Virtual Adapters from Windows 7 Network Awareness and Windows Fire

nice find budddy

Melbourne IT Support

Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point
Old 17th April 2010, 16:04
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Ossian
 Reputation: Ossian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant future (1549)
Default Re: Exclude VMware Virtual Adapters from Windows 7 Network Awareness and Windows Fire

Looks good, but please repost the contents of the zip as a text file (for security reasons)
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Closed Thread