Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Virtualization > Microsoft Hyper-V Technology
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Hyper-V/Windows2008 network issue.

Hyper-V/Windows2008 network issue.

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2188 times

Closed Thread

Old 23rd January 2012, 13:09
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Default Hyper-V/Windows2008 network issue.

Hi Folks
I'm having a strange issue with 1 server which is running hyper-v.
The setup is we have a hyper v server which is running 2 Guests all are windows 2008 Server, We'll call them S1,S2
S1 = Acitve Directory
S2 = Exchange

S2 is grand however I'm having a network issue with S1 when it comes under a bit of load, I keep getting log entries saying the following.

Source:srv
EventID:2012
Level:Warning
While transmitting or receiving data, the server encountered a network error. Occassional errors are expected, but large amounts of these indicate a possible error in your network configuration. The error status code is contained within the returned data (formatted as Words) and may point you towards the problem.

The Physical Hyper V host has two nic's and I've put S1 on nicA and S2 on Nic B problem there on S1 but not on S2, Then I Switched the NIC's round and the same problem S1 logging the error but not S2.
I have integration services installed on both servers
Can anyone shed any light on this matter or make suggestions please all help welcome.
Cheers
Mark
Old 23rd January 2012, 17:02
Here to help

Reputation: RobW has a spectacular aura aboutRobW has a spectacular aura about (167)
Default Re: Hyper-V/Windows2008 network issue.

The virtual switch on your host connects to external NIC 'A'. External NIC 'B' is either disabled or configured on a different network to remotely manage the host. Virtual servers S1 and S2 connect to the virtual switch.
Old 23rd January 2012, 17:57

Reputation: Virtual is a jewel in the roughVirtual is a jewel in the roughVirtual is a jewel in the rough (286)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcn View Post
Hi Folks
I'm having a strange issue with 1 server which is running hyper-v.
The setup is we have a hyper v server which is running 2 Guests all are windows 2008 Server, We'll call them S1,S2
S1 = Acitve Directory
S2 = Exchange

S2 is grand however I'm having a network issue with S1 when it comes under a bit of load, I keep getting log entries saying the following.

Source:srv
EventID:2012
Level:Warning
While transmitting or receiving data, the server encountered a network error. Occassional errors are expected, but large amounts of these indicate a possible error in your network configuration. The error status code is contained within the returned data (formatted as Words) and may point you towards the problem.

The Physical Hyper V host has two nic's and I've put S1 on nicA and S2 on Nic B problem there on S1 but not on S2, Then I Switched the NIC's round and the same problem S1 logging the error but not S2.
I have integration services installed on both servers
Can anyone shed any light on this matter or make suggestions please all help welcome.
Cheers
Mark
When you say that you swapped NICs around, what change did you actually make?
Old 24th January 2012, 02:50
Casual
Casual

Hi
What I ment was that I had Server1 using NicA and derver2 using NicB
then I swapped them so Server1 was using NicB and Server2 was using NicA
I was trying to rule out the hardware of the ethernet cards.
I'm thinking it's software related somehow but i'm stuck trying to work out how
Old 24th January 2012, 11:37

Reputation: Virtual is a jewel in the roughVirtual is a jewel in the roughVirtual is a jewel in the rough (286)

I see. So did you swap them via the VM settings, so each one then connects to the other virtual network or by changing the Virtual Network to use the other Physical NIC?
Old 25th January 2012, 19:16
Casual
Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual View Post
I see. So did you swap them via the VM settings, so each one then connects to the other virtual network or by changing the Virtual Network to use the other Physical NIC?
Sorry I understand now what your asking I swapped them between virtual networks at the vm guest level and level if this anwers the question, I'm getting really stumpped by this error
Old 26th January 2012, 00:57
Staying around

Why not manage the host by nic a, and use nic b for both guest machines.

MCITP sa, ea & va, sysadmin@cydonia.
Old 26th January 2012, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcn View Post
Sorry I understand now what your asking I swapped them between virtual networks at the vm guest level and level if this anwers the question, I'm getting really stumpped by this error
I see. So what you are saying is that S1's Guest VMs Network Adapter when attached to each Virtual Network has an issue?

Have you deleted the assigned Network Adapter on the Guest VM and created another?

Also, are they both using Network Adapters as oppose to Legacy NICs?

Furthermore, within the Guest VMs, have you compared NIC settings between the two? Jumbo frame settings etc?
Old 29th January 2012, 13:57

Send a message via MSN to teiger
 Reputation: teiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to behold (757)

Have you checked Windows Updates? There was one which claimed it fixed Hyper-V NICs which locked up under load, IIRC.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
http://www.wintra.co.il/

Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.
Closed Thread