Petri.co.il forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Networking > General Networking
Petri.co.il is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

wireless roaming ?

wireless roaming ?

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 616 times

Closed Thread

Old 24th March 2012, 09:46

6 month star 12 month star
  Send a message via Skype™ to tehcamel
 Reputation: tehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to behold (656)
Default wireless roaming ?

looking at a potential client at the moment
they have a couple of wireless routers, on 2 different SSIDS - let's say Company1 and Company2.
One is a netgear, one is a Linksys.

If I were to put them on the same SSID, but two different channels, would this cause roaming problems, with wireless clients constantly trying to re-authenticate between each of them depending on which was stronger at the time?

I assume I need some sort of backend, and same-vendor equipment for this to be seamless ?

Melbourne IT Support

Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point
Old 24th March 2012, 10:06

Reputation: L4ndy is a glorious beacon of lightL4ndy is a glorious beacon of lightL4ndy is a glorious beacon of lightL4ndy is a glorious beacon of lightL4ndy is a glorious beacon of lightL4ndy is a glorious beacon of light (541)
Default Re: wireless roaming ?

It should work fine. In general the roaming is a client side feature. Just for a couple of AP I don't think you can justify the expense for a controler as they don't come cheap, esp hardware ones.

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR
Old 25th March 2012, 03:52
Administrator

Reputation: biggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to behold (809)

Got the same setup at home due to my daughter's PSP not having good range. Both APs are on the same SSID with different non overlapping channels and we don't have a problem when we go warwalking throughout the house.
"There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!" Kenneth Lee - after being shot down during the Battle of Britain on the 18th August 1940.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 26th March 2012, 00:09

Send a message via Skype™ to tehcamel
 Reputation: tehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to behold (656)

cool..thanks gents

Melbourne IT Support

Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point
Closed Thread