Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Client Operating Systems > Windows 7
Petri.co.il is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Sysprep turns System Restore back OFF on a drive

Sysprep turns System Restore back OFF on a drive

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 4810 times

Closed Thread

Old 24th April 2012, 13:51
Staying around

6 month star 12 month star
Default Sysprep turns System Restore back OFF on a drive

MOD EDIT: Merged similar threads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by balubeto - 'Command that enables the recovery system on a partition'
HI

In Windows 7 SP1, I can not find a command that enables the restore system on a local partition.

THANKS

BYE
Quote:
Originally Posted by balubeto
HI

I have partitioned a disk into two primary partitions.

On one of them, I installed Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64 bit, but, during its installation, I pressed, the Ctrl+Shift+F3 sequence to go in audit mode.
Now, wanting to activate the D local partition to the protection system, I wrote:

PS: Enable-ComputerRestore -Drive "D:\"
==> http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/4268/protectionsystem01.png

or
DOS: wmic /namespace:\\root\default path SystemRestore call Enable D:\
==> http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7747/protectionsystem02.png

but the D partition is still deactivated.

Why? So, how can I fix this?

THANKS

BYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by balubeto - 'Settings of the protection system is not maintained from audit to normal mode'
HI

In Windows 7 SP1 64 bit, I have noticed that if, in audit mode, I activate an local partition (D: ) to protection system with the wmic /namespace:\\root\default path SystemRestore call Enable D:\ command and I reboot the system in this mode, this protection is still activated on this partition. Instead, when I go in normal mode with the sysprep /generalize /oobe /reboot command, the protection system is deactivated on this partition. Why? How do I fix this?

THANKS

BYE
Quote:
Originally Posted by balubeto - 'Running wmic command in OOBE mode'
HI

When Windows 7 is started in OOBE mode with the command from the audit mode, there is a key/entry registry that allows to execute a wmic command during the Windows configuration wizard?

THANKS

BYE
Quote:
Originally Posted by balubeto - 'Running the SetupComplete.cmd file between the audit and the OOBE mode'
HI

I want to know if during the switching between the audit and the OOBE mode with the sysprep /generalize /oobe /reboot command, the SetupComplete.cmd file is executed.

If this file is executed, I would like to know how do I create it so that it contains the wmic /namespace:\\root\default path SystemRestore call Enable D:\ command and that, at the end of its execution, this file will be deleted automatically with its log file.

THANKS

BYE

Last edited by Rems; 5th May 2012 at 01:14..
Old 24th April 2012, 14:24
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Ossian
 Reputation: Ossian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant future (1520)
Default Re: Command that enables the recovery system on a partition

Quote:
Originally Posted by balubeto - 'Command that enables the recovery system on a partition'
HI

In Windows 7 SP1, I can not find a command that enables the restore system on a local partition.

THANKS

BYE
Is this Windows System Restore or a restore partition provided by the computer manufacturer?
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Last edited by Rems; 5th May 2012 at 00:48..
Old 24th April 2012, 20:17
Staying around

Default Re: Command that enables the Restore System on a partition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossian View Post
Is this Windows System Restore or a restore partition provided by the computer manufacturer?
I'm talking about how to configure the Windows Restore System from the Command Prompt.

THANKS

BYE
Old 24th April 2012, 20:26
Administrator

Reputation: Ossian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant future (1520)

AFAIK System Restore is a GUI tool, but it can be launched from the cmd prompt:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...command-prompt

You can create a restore point using a script:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-c1b749c23320

There are some other scripts that, in combination, may allow you to apply a restore point:
http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com...stem%20Restore

Note these are VB scripts, not CMD, so will need the scripting engine available.
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Last edited by biggles77; 24th April 2012 at 21:30.. Reason: Fixed the broken link
Old 25th April 2012, 20:40
Staying around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossian View Post
AFAIK System Restore is a GUI tool, but it can be launched from the cmd prompt:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...command-prompt

You can create a restore point using a script:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-c1b749c23320

There are some other scripts that, in combination, may allow you to apply a restore point:
http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com...site/search/?f[0].Type=RootCategory&f[0].Value=desktopmanagement&f[0].Text=Desktop%20Management&f[1].Type=SubCategory&f[1].Value=sqlserver&f[1].Text=System%20Restore

Note these are VB scripts, not CMD, so will need the scripting engine available.
Since the Enable-ComputerRestore -Drive "F:\" command wants the Administrator rights, in interactive Windows Powershell started from Command Prompt, how do I do this?

THANKS

BYE
Old 25th April 2012, 22:18
Administrator

Find powershell, right click, select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR is the normal way

Or else I really don't understand what you are wanting to do
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

Old 25th April 2012, 22:47

Reputation: Rems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to behold (965)

Quote:
Originally Posted by balubeto View Post
Since the Enable-ComputerRestore -Drive "F:\" command wants the Administrator rights, in interactive Windows Powershell started from Command Prompt, how do I do this?
Using Powershell command ( Enable-ComputerRestore -Drive "f:\" ); - open a powershell as administror the way Ossian described.
Or.. you could run the PS script as a computer Startup Script.

Or,

Using a dos command from a command prompt ( wmic /namespace:\\root\default path SystemRestore call Enable f:\ ); - Open a Elevated Command Prompt by a right click the Command Promt icon, select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.
Or.. you could run the command as a computer Startup Script.

/Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts
Old 4th May 2012, 20:55
Casual
Casual

Default Re: Settings of the protection system is not maintained from audit to normal mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by balubeto - 'Settings of the protection system is not maintained from audit to normal mode'
HI

In Windows 7 SP1 64 bit, I have noticed that if, in audit mode, I activate an local partition (D: ) to protection system with the wmic /namespace:\\root\default path SystemRestore call Enable D:\ command and I reboot the system in this mode, this protection is still activated on this partition. Instead, when I go in normal mode with the sysprep /generalize /oobe /reboot command, the protection system is deactivated on this partition. Why? How do I fix this?

THANKS

BYE
This is done on purpose. System restore was able to save sensitive information (your product key from your unattend file, for example). There is a blog post by Michael Niehaus which explains it in detail. I would give you a link to the blog post, but I can not post links on this site yet. The title of the article is "MDT 2010 Update 1: Fix to re-enable System Restore in ConfigMgr task sequence". The easiest way to turn this back on would be to run a post-installation task to run a script to turn it back on.

Hope this helps,
David
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Last edited by Rems; 5th May 2012 at 00:45..
Old 4th May 2012, 22:04
Casual
Casual

Default Re: Running the SetupComplete.cmd file between the audit and the OOBE mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by balubeto - 'Running the SetupComplete.cmd file between the audit and the OOBE mode'
HI

I want to know if during the switching between the audit and the OOBE mode with the sysprep /generalize /oobe /reboot command, the SetupComplete.cmd file is executed.

If this file is executed, I would like to know how do I create it so that it contains the wmic /namespace:\\root\default path SystemRestore call Enable D:\ command and that, at the end of its execution, this file will be deleted automatically with its log file.

THANKS

BYE
Setupcomplete.cmd runs after setup is finished, and before the login screen appears. This would be after the reboot, when setup is done asking questions about locale, computer/user names, etc...
Just add the commands to the file as you would type them in a command window while in audit mode, then sysprep as you normally would.

Hope this helps,
David
Windows Outreach Team - IT Pro

Last edited by Rems; 5th May 2012 at 00:50..
Old 4th May 2012, 23:48

Reputation: Rems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to behold (965)
Default Re: Settings of the protection system is not maintained from audit to normal mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinOutreach4 View Post
Quote:
HI

THANKS

BYE
This is done on purpose. System restore was able to save sensitive information (your product key from your unattend file, for example). There is a blog post by Michael Niehaus which explains it in detail. I would give you a link to the blog post, but I can not post links on this site yet. The title of the article is "MDT 2010 Update 1: Fix to re-enable System Restore in ConfigMgr task sequence". The easiest way to turn this back on would be to run a post-installation task to run a script to turn it back on.

Hope this helps,
David
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

check also Bill Stewart's solution here: http://groups.google.com/group/micro...deaf2d1b041723

edit the wmic command that will be entered in the [GuiRunOnce] section of the
sysprep.inf file so that it does enable the drive (d: ) in your case.

/Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Last edited by Rems; 5th May 2012 at 01:22..
Closed Thread