Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Virtualization > Microsoft Hyper-V Technology
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Folder Redirection Issue - Between Physical and Virtual machines?

Folder Redirection Issue - Between Physical and Virtual machines?

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1384 times

Closed Thread

Old 28th April 2012, 03:37
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Default Folder Redirection Issue - Between Physical and Virtual machines?

Okay here is my scenario, and I'm stumped on finding a solution. See if you can figure out my puzzle.

I have a user logging into his physical machine and sometimes he will log into his VDI machine. I want to have this user's to redirect his Desktop files ONLY when he is logged into the VDI machine. But if this same user logs into his physical machine I DON'T want his desktop to be redirected at all. I'm trying to accomplish this all through Group Policies. So I configured Folder Redirection on my file server and it works perfectly.

As we know Folder Redirection policies is based as Users Configuration setting and this is my issue? If Folder Redirection policy was set as a Computer Configuration setting then it would solve my problem because I can apply the policy only to my OU with all my VMs. Unfortunately its a User Configuration policy.

So when the User logs in his or her desktop the policy will be redirected regardless of the machine because the policy is based as a User Configuration.

Any idea how to work around this? I'm sure there must be away because there has to numerous scenarios where users log in to a physical machine vs a virtual machine and want different GPO settings.

I'm hope someone can steer me in the right direction or shed some light on my situation
Old 28th April 2012, 04:34

Send a message via Skype™ to tehcamel
 Reputation: tehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to behold (717)
Default Re: Folder Redirection Issue - Between Physical and Virtual machines?

you need to use loopback policies

we had a thread about a similar concept recently..

Melbourne IT Support

Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point
Old 28th April 2012, 21:27

Reputation: Virtual is a jewel in the roughVirtual is a jewel in the roughVirtual is a jewel in the rough (286)
Default Re: Folder Redirection Issue - Between Physical and Virtual machines?

As already mentioned, enable loopback policy processing in merge mode on the computer policy being applied to the VDI machine and set your folder redirection requirements within the User Configuration section of there.

There is a new policy that allows you to have Roaming Profiles set at the computer level rather than having Roaming Profiles set on the AD user account.
Closed Thread