Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Clustering newbie how

Clustering newbie how

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 879 times

Closed Thread

Old 28th April 2012, 01:10
Casual
It's not a coincidence

6 month star 12 month star
Default Clustering newbie how

Hi. totally new to clustering and reading document/articles one after the other and getting confused.

im trying to setup a demo VM environment. After various attempts I think I got the cluster working. (configured at least)

1xDC
2xNodes
1xVSAN
WS2008R2 EE + all updates.

using StarWind for the iSCSI. Created 1 harddisk/virtual disk using this software (2GB).

its showing that all the computers are connected to the iSCSI.

purpose of this cluster: to demo what happens when Node1 (or 2) goes down, to get the other node up and running and continue doing its job.
Can anyone please tell me (without linking to more documents!) what I am missing and how to set up IIS clustered? I will then eventually be setting up MSMQ clustered but baby steps for now with IIS.

Many thanks!
Old 28th April 2012, 09:13
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Ossian
 Reputation: Ossian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant future (1587)
Default Re: Clustering newbie how

IIRC IIS is not designed to be cluster aware, so it is preferred to use NLB

A quick suggests clustering may be possible, depending on your web applications -- more info here: http://blogs.iis.net/thomad/archive/...lustering.aspx
including a link to a KB on the process (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970759/)

Sorry to be posting links and not a detailed reply, but that would be a copy/paste anyway.

You havent said what is not working -- imho set up some simple shared application (e.g. a shared printer) which is cluster aware and test failover, then once you are happy the cluster is working, move to troubleshoot IIS
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 28th April 2012, 12:48
Casual
It's not a coincidence

thanks. I appreciate that!

Well, I some how managed to get the file share working and the iSCSI drives/disks to work when say node1 is shutdown, it moves it to node2 and the same the other way around. no idea how I managed to do that!

Same with the ping, I can ping the clustered IP when one of the nodes goes down as before, it didnt. I dont know how I managed to make that work either.

i will post back in regards to IIS...
Old 28th April 2012, 12:59
Casual
It's not a coincidence

ok, question!

heartbeat network connection in WS2008R2 for clustering. is this required?
since I dont know much about iSCSI, ive read things but not quite understood but they say that it should be on its own network? how is this done? currently it is hosted on a Virtual SAN (virtual image with WS2008R2, joined to the DC, with an IP of 192.168.1.5)

each of the computers have 2 NICs. 1 private and 1 public with the exception of the DC where it only has a private. the private NIC has the configuration:

IP: 192.168.1.x
Sub: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.106.1 <-- this is the VMWare gateway on the host physical computer
DNS: 192.168.1.2 <-- DC
Old 28th April 2012, 14:50
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Ossian
 Reputation: Ossian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant future (1587)

Heartbeat is preferred to be on a separate network (as is iSCSI), but for demo / test, you can get away with a single NiC for everything
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 28th April 2012, 14:56
Casual
It's not a coincidence

great. thanks for that.
I wont be using an NLB here because the core element I am trying to work towards is to use clustered transactional MSMQ. That does not work well with NLB.

quick question: if we setup IIS on these 2 clustered nodes. What would the internal URL be to that website? would it be the clustered IP Address?
when one of the nodes goes down, the other should kick in therefore the user wouldnt notice right? (apart from a very minor delay)
Old 28th April 2012, 15:15
Casual
It's not a coincidence

ok. i guess my storage is not configured properly as when I try to select the storage where the service/application resides, it gives me no storage available. I also cannot add a disk either.

The cluster sees a witness disk and 2 seperate other disks too.
Old 30th April 2012, 10:47
Casual
Casual

Actually HB is required.

I would kindly recommend you to take a look at one of the How-To`s from StarWind. I would provided you some direct links but since I`m new on this forum I cannot for now, so here is what tech papers you need to search on starwind website:
Configuring HA storage with Windows Server
Using StarWind with MS Cluster on Win2008 Server
Installing StarWind on Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Core - in case if you`d like to run SAN software on Core editions

In all of them there is description of how to configure MS clusters using StarWind HA disk, but if you are not using one and you will need help with it to get your environment complete faster I can suggest you to post your question on StarWind forum.
Closed Thread