Petri.co.il forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Client Operating Systems > Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro
Petri.co.il is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Change XP SP2 VLK installation to OEM

Change XP SP2 VLK installation to OEM

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 10558 times

Closed Thread

Old 11th December 2006, 16:10
Casual
It's not a coincidence

6 month star 12 month star
Default Change XP SP2 VLK installation to OEM

I received a PC for repair and during diagnosis I used a VLK CD to install XP SP2.

The client now says that they don't have the original XP OEM CD in their possession. Is there a way to change the key/pid of the VLK installation to the customer's OEM cd-key? (From sticker on PC)

please hlep me
Old 11th December 2006, 18:24
Administrator

Reputation: biggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to behold (793)
Default Re: Change XP SP2 VLK installation to OEM

Not that I have found. The VLK version will not accept an OEM key. I think you will need to reinstall with an OEM version for the OEM key to use.
"There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!" Kenneth Lee - after being shot down during the Battle of Britain on the 18th August 1940.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 11th December 2006, 23:56
Casual
It's not a coincidence

An IT guy said "you have to use windows CD-KEY changer to change the PID with the product ID"

I download the software from microsoft site but it did not work.. it always give this error : 0x8004005
Old 12th December 2006, 00:25
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Ossian
 Reputation: Ossian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant future (1520)

AS Biggles said, you can change the Product Key to the same type: VLK to VLK, OEM to OEM, but not within types.

Reinstall!
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 12th December 2006, 09:33
Casual
It's not a coincidence

ok.. then what do you think about this Article:

========================================

Unlocking WinXP's setupp.ini

WinXP's setupp.ini controls how the CD acts. IE is it an OEM version or retail? First, find your setupp.ini file in the i386 directory on your WinXP CD. Open it up, it'll look something like this:

ExtraData=707A667567736F696F697911AE7E05
Pid=55034000

The Pid value is what we're interested in. What's there now looks like a standard default. There are special numbers that determine if it's a retail, oem, or volume license edition. First, we break down that number into two parts. The first five digits determines how the CD will behave, ie is it a retail cd that lets you clean install or upgrade, or an oem cd that only lets you perform a clean install? The last three digits determines what CD key it will accept. You are able to mix and match these values. For example you could make a WinXP cd that acted like a retail cd, yet accepted OEM keys.

Now, for the actual values. Remember the first and last values are interchangable, but usually you'd keep them as a pair:

Retail = 51882 335
Volume License = 51883 270
OEM = 82503 OEM

So if you wanted a retail CD that took retail keys, the last line of your setupp.ini file would read:

Pid=51882335

And if you wanted a retail CD that took OEM keys, you'd use:

Pid=51882OEM

Note that this does NOT get rid of WinXP's activation. Changing the Pid to a Volume License will not bypass activation. You must have a volume license (corporate) key to do so.

===========================

??
Old 12th December 2006, 11:19
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Ossian
 Reputation: Ossian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant future (1520)

This is on the setup CD. It controls settings used when the OS is installed. Once the OS is installed it is put into the mode determined by the setup CD.

You have already installed the OS, a rather different situation

btw, we are getting on very dodgy ground at this point. Microsoft take a very dim view of misuse of license keys. IMHO, your best (and legal) option is to do a reinstall using the legal OEM license key you have.
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

Closed Thread