Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > SBS 2000 / 2003 / 2008 / 2011
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Migrating from Enterprise to Standard SP2

Migrating from Enterprise to Standard SP2

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 2898 times

Closed Thread

Old 8th January 2007, 09:00
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Smile Migrating from Enterprise to Standard SP2

so lets get the obvious question out of the way - why migrate from Exchange 2003 Enterprise to Exchange 2003 Standard - that's easy - compliance to CALs without blowing the budget of a small business.

The reason for Exchange Enterprise in the first place? - a previous IT administrator who solved a problem (mailstore 16gig limit).. oh and just to add complexity - its currently on a Windows SBS server but i'm moving exchange to a dedicated Windows 2003 server

So my question is:

firstly is this possible? - we are only talking about a small number of mailboxes (25 or so) but some mailboxes range from 2 gigs up to a wopping 8 gigs for one user (and he's the CEO so no i'm not telling him to reduce his mailbox size - he pays me to make things work!).

secondly - are there any guides out there on how to do this? should i just be exporting to PST files and then reimporting with exmerge or something similar?

Any help would be great.

Regards,
Matt

Last edited by phoenixmn; 8th January 2007 at 09:02..
Old 8th January 2007, 14:45
Here to help

Reputation: tkolber is a jewel in the roughtkolber is a jewel in the roughtkolber is a jewel in the rough (251)
Default Re: Migrating from Enterprise to Standard SP2

1. You can not "migrate" Exch2k3 ent to Exch2k3 std.
2. You can install additional Exchange std in the same organization, migtrate the Mailboxes and PF to the new Exchange 2003 std, and then remove the Exchange 2003 Ent.
Old 8th January 2007, 16:32
Administrator

Reputation: biggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to behold (901)

Since there is an SBS server involved, I am moving this to the SBS Forum. Do not see the point of having SBS server with Exchange and then purchasing another system, Windows Server 2003 and Exchange Std. Looking forward to Steven's reply.
"There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!" Kenneth Lee - after being shot down during the Battle of Britain on the 18th August 1940.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 9th January 2007, 02:34
Casual
Casual

Generally i'd agree with you. but Exchange 2003 Enterprise was put on top of the SBS server without licensing and CALs. (- not by me - by a previous independant contractor)

There's also a significant load on the machine from a application using SQL. So i wanted to seperate the Exchange off to a different server as the mailboxes continue to increase.

I'd go to Enterprise licensing but i dont have a requirement for clustering and other benefits of Enterprise.

tkolber: PF?

Matt
Old 9th January 2007, 04:12

Send a message via MSN to teiger
 Reputation: teiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to behold (757)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmn View Post
firstly is this possible? - we are only talking about a small number of mailboxes (25 or so) but some mailboxes range from 2 gigs up to a wopping 8 gigs for one user (and he's the CEO so no i'm not telling him to reduce his mailbox size - he pays me to make things work!).
So tell him, that he needs to pay $4000 for a super fast LTO 2 tape drive and your time to install it: tell him the back up window isn't large enough on a small business budget; tell him if he doesn't reduce it, archive it, manage it, that 8Gb is a disaster waiting to happen and if it does he'll be the first to scream.

You can tell him all this because you are not just paid to make things work, you are his trusted advisor and a professional in your field, who cares about his business as much as he does. I believe he will respect you for it.

As to the overall problem, I would save the Exchange databases as-is, do a Swing Migration, and drop the same databases right back into a fresh clean SBS with Ex SP2 installed.
The alternative is as per other threads, buy another server with Win2K3 R2 license, Exchange Std license and upgrade the SBS to R2 version to save on the CALs

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
http://www.wintra.co.il/

Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.
Old 9th January 2007, 04:39
Casual
Casual

Thanks Steven,

Yeah, its only early days and this is the first of the problems to be fixed.

I'm going to go with the new server - windows 2003 R2 and install Exchange 2003 SP1 on it.

Can you clarify what you mean by upgrading SBS to R2 to save on the CALs? i still need Exchange CALs to run on the new server dont i?

Matt
Old 9th January 2007, 13:36
MVP
MVP

Reputation: Sembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud of (1116)

If the SBS is correct licensed then buy a transition pack. It will be cheaper than purchasing Exchange separately. All you will need to purchase is a Windows 2003 license - but if you are buying a new machine you should get a licence with that.

Simon.
Old 9th January 2007, 14:46
Casual
Casual

ok so let me get this right.. customer has 20 users.

server1 - sbs 2003 with 20 cals.
server2 - windows 2003 std

if i buy a transition pack i can move Exchange Std from server1 to server2 and i dont need to buy exchange license or exchange cals?

cheers,
Matt
Old 12th January 2007, 02:55

Send a message via MSN to teiger
 Reputation: teiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to behold (757)

Correction:
if i buy a transition pack i can move Exchange Std from server1 to server2 (Yes)and i dont need to buy exchange license (Yes) or exchange cals (No - you need to buy Transition pack CALS which will give you the equivalent of the Exchange CALS and Windows CALS)?
Or you can buy an upgrade to SBS R2 then add a server and buy Windows, Exchange but don't need to buy CALS:
From the licensing FAQ
Q. I want to have additional servers running Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003 on my SBS 2003 R2 domain. Do my users need CALs to access those servers?

A. No. Your SBS 2003 R2 CALs allow your users to access any additional servers running Windows Server software in the domain. You do not need to buy additional CALs for file and print services, or to access additional servers running Exchange Server 2003 or SQL Server 2005 Workgroup Edition. However, you will need to purchase Terminal Server CALs if you have a server running Terminal Services in application mode on your network.

If you go the Transition Pack route, ensure you buy the necessary Media Packs for Windows and Exchange AT THE SAME TIME. Otherwise, if you ever have to re-install you'll find you can't purchase the media and you'll have to start from SBS all over again.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
http://www.wintra.co.il/

Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.
Old 12th January 2007, 07:13
Casual
Casual

Thanks Steven!

Which way would you go?

Cheers,
Matt
Closed Thread