Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Printer Pooling

Printer Pooling

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 3848 times

Closed Thread

Old 9th August 2007, 23:40
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Default Printer Pooling

Could i please gain some direction about the concept of printer pooling. I've got a print device and i've added 2 printers (LPT1 / LPT:2). On the second printer i've enabled printer pooling for both ports and changed the priority. The second printer won't print. Only the printer that is on LPT1 will print.
Old 9th August 2007, 23:57
MVM

Reputation: Stonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really nice (405)
Default Re: Printer Pooling

Where is the printer physically attached to? If it's attached to LPT1 then it will only print if you send data to LPT1. Set up both printers to LPT1 and change the priority of one of them; or maybe set the paper up different on one of them.

Tom
For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you
Old 10th August 2007, 00:15
Casual
Casual

The printer is physically attached to LPT1. If i had 2 parralel printers connected to the one computer, would i then be able to pool different LPT ports ? I configured them both to LPT1 and they both print. the printer with the lowest priority is finishing all it's jobs first then the higher priority printer is printing. The print jobs are very small...should i send a large document to the lower priority printer and a smaller one to the higher priority printer? The smaller job should print first?
Old 10th August 2007, 09:33
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Ossian
 Reputation: Ossian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant future (1587)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchett@mossbank View Post
On the second printer i've enabled printer pooling for both ports

I think this may be the problem.
To pool, create one print queue (logical printer or whatever the jargon is)
Tick several ports each pointing to identical model physical printers and tick the Pooling box
Jobs will be sent to first available physical printer

So you should have ONE print queue only visible in the Printers folder

Note, try to keep both physical printers in the same location otherwise it causes alarm among users
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 10th August 2007, 10:26
Staying around

Send a message via MSN to sanvour Send a message via Yahoo to sanvour

Yeah all of the above is correct.

But you have to keep in mind that the two print devices should not be the same model or type, they should operate on the same driver (Basically the same model).

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 10th August 2007, 14:05
MVM

Reputation: Stonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really nice (405)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanvour View Post
Yeah all of the above is correct.

But you have to keep in mind that the two print devices should not be the same model or type, they should operate on the same driver (Basically the same model).
Not forgetting that a HP LaserJet 5 driver will drive an awful lot of printers to a basic level; so if you have several different printers which are all laserjet 5 compatible then a laserjet 5 driver will suffice.

Tom
For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you
Old 12th August 2007, 16:42
Administrator

Reputation: biggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to behold (880)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonelaughter
Not forgetting that a HP LaserJet 5 driver will drive an awful lot of printers to a basic level
HP Laserjet II can't be beat either.
"There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!" Kenneth Lee - after being shot down during the Battle of Britain on the 18th August 1940.

Closed Thread