Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Networking > General Networking
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Broadband Hacking

Broadband Hacking

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 3091 times

Closed Thread

Old 23rd August 2007, 09:39
Here to help

6 month star 12 month star
Default Broadband Hacking

I see on UK TV News this morning that there has been a rapid increase in instances of hacking into people’s wireless broadband connection by someone just outside your house, such as using a laptop. This is one reason why I have never bothered to upgrade my now ancient system using a USB connection, apart from the fact this PC is the only one I want to use on the Internet.

However I was under the impression that the likes of Norton Anti-virus and wonderful up to date Windows XP and Vista were supposed to have solved this problem. If this is not the case then how can we advise people to ensure they have full protection against this form of hacking.
Old 23rd August 2007, 10:02
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Ossian
 Reputation: Ossian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant future (1596)
Default Re: Broadband Hacking

Gordon,
what has this got to do with Office 2003?
You've been here long enough to know your way round the forums and you normally post in the correct place!
Moved to General Networking

In answer to your question, all the security features in the world are no use if not enabled. Wireless Routers tend not to have a WEP or WPA key by default, so if people dont RTFM and set one up, anyone cruising by can hack in....
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 23rd August 2007, 10:17
Here to help

Humblest apologies for clicking on the wrong thread ---- my eyesight.

But can you please explain in simple non tech text how we advise someone about this RTFM
Old 23rd August 2007, 10:52

Send a message via MSN to m80arm Send a message via Skype™ to m80arm
 Reputation: m80arm is just really nicem80arm is just really nicem80arm is just really nicem80arm is just really nice (359)

Gordon,

RTFM = Read The Flipping Manual

Basically, when you get your wireless router / device simply read the manual. It will advise you best on how to secure the device with such methods as encryption, MAC Address Filtering and hiding your SID.

Michael

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points To grant some reputation points to the user that helped you, just click on the little Yin-Yang icon on the right of the user's answer and follow the prompt. where appropriate **
Old 23rd August 2007, 12:16
Administrator

Reputation: biggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to behold (901)

Makes for some interesting Wardriving. http://www.google.com.au/search?sour...n&q=wardriving
"There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!" Kenneth Lee - after being shot down during the Battle of Britain on the 18th August 1940.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 23rd August 2007, 12:27
Here to help

Thanks. But as I originally pointed out I am still using the old fashioned ( but much safer it appears ) USB connection.

However I will pass the information onto a number of friends with new PCs the latest Wiz wireless routers. As most of them are complete novices, whether they will understand the instructions in the manuals is a differnt matter. Hence the warnings on today's TV about the increase in broadband hacking.

As an example one husband and wife like me in they 70s have had a DELL PC for over a month, and still have not got the speakers plugges in by their sons. Also the husband claims after all this time he still cannot control the mouse, and has to get his wife to switch on and click the Printout and Send icons after typeing his Letters and Emails!!
Old 23rd August 2007, 14:49

Reputation: joeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to behold (678)

IMHO as far as securing a wireless network is concerned, setting the SSID to not broadcast and using MAC address filtering are poor attempts at security. Once you associate a client machine with the WAP the client machine will send the SSID and it's own MAC address in every packet and anybody with a wireless sniffer can capture this information and use it to gain access to your wireless network. I would recommend that you use WPA as your security mechanism.
Old 24th August 2007, 00:13
Someone to look up to

Reputation: PaulH has a spectacular aura aboutPaulH has a spectacular aura aboutPaulH has a spectacular aura about (209)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonSweet View Post

However I was under the impression that the likes of Norton Anti-virus and wonderful up to date Windows XP and Vista were supposed to have solved this problem. If this is not the case then how can we advise people to ensure they have full protection against this form of hacking.
The best security in the world on your PC will not protect the wireless broadband connection! Think about it - have a wireless broadband connection, and then turn off your PC. The PC is now totally secure, but people can still use the wireless connection. So having Norton etc on the PC makes no difference to the wireless part of things. So, as others have said, make the wireless secure AND the PC secure. you have to do both.
Closed Thread