Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Messaging Software > Exchange 2000 / 2003
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

OWA (Exchange 2003) and IIS on different servers

OWA (Exchange 2003) and IIS on different servers

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 14103 times

Closed Thread

Old 20th December 2004, 18:23
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
  Send a message via Yahoo to Riya
Default OWA (Exchange 2003) and IIS on different servers

Hi ,

Recently we migrated to exchange 2003. We are trying to use OWA for the first time. Since we have Exchange 2003 and IIS installed in different servers, finding things difficult.

Can someone tell me how to create the virtual directories (exchange,exchweb, OMA etc) in IIS pointing to exchange (2003) in another server. By the way, we don't have a front end server setup for exchange.

Most of the materials I referred to deals with Exchange and IIS in the same system!

Thanks in advance!
Old 21st December 2004, 01:46
Wrote the book

Reputation: danielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud of (1198)
Default RE: OWA (Exchange 2003) and IIS on different servers

You CANNOT run Exchange 2000/2003 on a system that does not have IIS!!! Exchange is dependant on the IIS layer for protocol support, so I simply don't understand how you did it.

Also, Exchange's OWA is a built-i feature that CANNOT be installed on a non-Exchange server. Here too, I don't understand how you managed to do it.

Daniel Petri
Microsoft Senior Premier Field Engineer
MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT
Old 21st December 2004, 12:37
Casual
Casual

Send a message via Yahoo to Riya

Let me explain..the system where we installed exchange 2003 has IIS in it. Also we have a separate web server which hosts all our web sites.

We are now able to access OWA locally in intranet. Iam sure we are able to this b'cos of the IIS in the Exchange 2003 server.

In order to host OWA to be accessed over internet, I think , the virtual directories for exchange has to be created in the IIS of the web server. Somehow, the IIS in the webserver has to either communicate to the IIS of the local server(having exchange 2003) OR should directly be mapped to the Exchange 2003 HHTP virtual servers. This is where I need some help!

Thanks!
Old 21st December 2004, 13:14
Wrote the book

Reputation: danielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud of (1198)

Ok, now you're talking...

You can do this by creating a website or a virtual directory on the other IIS, then point it to the URL of the OWA, in the format of http://server/exchange, or https, if you're using SSL.

Another method is by using ISA server which can be configured to publish OWA.

Daniel Petri
Microsoft Senior Premier Field Engineer
MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT
Old 25th November 2005, 18:30
Casual
Casual

Default Re: OWA (Exchange 2003) and IIS on different servers

I just registered here to add to this thread, not solutions, but a few questions.
--------

It seems that many IT people test Exchange2003 Activesync in a simple single server setup, as the company isn't going to pay for front-end backend solutions.

In this thread , I read about my problem. First of all I want to ask Petri if he can add a little more detail to it after these questions :

1 - Assuming that port 80 is routed on whatever firewall straight to the IIS6.0 webserver that has nothing to do with Exchange2003IIS, and assuming both servers run on an internal lan IP range, will your example still work ? What do you exactly mean by saying : You can do this by creating a website or a virtual directory on the other IIS, then point it to the URL of the OWA, in the format of http://server/exchange, or https, if you're using SSL.

Do you mean that we should create a new website on the IIS6.0 server, with a hostheader like "webmail.company.com" , initially point it to any directory, and then select to redirect the website to htt://server/exchange ?

Also does http://server/exchange mean that you just type in the http://netbiosname/exchange of the Exchange2003IIS server, or do you mean to redirect to the FQDN of that server ? In case 2, it would mean a loop between the IIS6.0 server and the FireWall.

Do you, while assuming the case is 1, you use netbios name, need to configure any extra settings on the newly created website on the IIS60 server ? Or would redirecting it to the NETBIOS name of the Exchange 2003 server make the site function like the settings on the Exchange Server ?

Will this work for Exchange ActiveSync as well.

Just to tell you about my problem, I have an Exchange2003Ent.Sp2 server and an IIS 6.0 webserver, both on 192.168.1.x adresses.

Any traffic on port 80 is routed to the webserver, so PocketPC's trying to ExchangeActiveSync over the internet call port 80 with the hostname of the exchange server in it.

This also get's routed to the IIS webserver, and will this trick work for Activesync as well, as you seem to redirect to the Exchange folder only.

Then, I would like to know if enabling SSL on the Exchange2003IIS server for OWA, OMA and ActiveSync would be a way to bypass this problem.

If all OWA, OMA and ActiveSync access is performed over port 443, I would only need to map ALL port 443 traffic to the exchange server, and port 80 would be free to run on the IIS webserver.

If I would enable SSL using my own freshly installed Certificate Authority, and I would leave FORMS based authentication OFF, would I still have those many problems reported about SSL and forms basred auth. messing up EAS (Exchange ActiveSync)

I put these many questions and assumptions in writing, as these are the key issues that seem to remain unanswered, or not asked focussedly enough. I sure know I tried to be focussed.

If anybody could pick each line and dissect it, I'm sure this thread will be even more helpful. THanks in advance, Mike

Last edited by lucid; 25th November 2005 at 18:41..
Closed Thread