Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

How to tell who is logged on to the server?

How to tell who is logged on to the server?

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 138444 times

Closed Thread

Old 26th December 2007, 18:24
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Question How to tell who is logged on to the server?

Hi,

I come from the Novell world, but I have been working with Win2003 server for a few years as well. One of the things I got used to working with Netware was being able to see immediately a list of users that are logged on (through the Monitor program). I have not been able to figure out how I can get that information in Win2003 server. I know that in Computer Management I can see Sessions and Open files, but that doesn't show most of the computers that I know are logged on, only those that are actually using server resources at that moment.

Any ideas as to how I can see at a glance which computers are logged on?

Thanks,

-Michael
Old 26th December 2007, 18:30

Reputation: DYasny is a jewel in the roughDYasny is a jewel in the roughDYasny is a jewel in the roughDYasny is a jewel in the rough (325)
Default Re: How to tell who is logged on to the server?

to see rdp users: the task manager users tab
to see files accessed: computer management - shares
________
Yamaha yzf-r1

Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011 at 19:54..
Old 26th December 2007, 18:37
Here to help

Send a message via MSN to kapilsharma11
 Reputation: kapilsharma11 will become famous soon enoughkapilsharma11 will become famous soon enough (106)

Hi,

AD works in different aspect. It issues tickets to the users and users use their tickets to get access to the objects. So there is no such macahnism to monitor the currently logged-in users.

There is a utility called limitlogin.exe which keep track of concurrent user sessions so probablly it can provide the details of currently loggedin users. Although I have not tried it but you can just look at it:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...litySpotlight/

Regards,
Old 26th December 2007, 20:57
MVM

Reputation: James Haynes is a jewel in the roughJames Haynes is a jewel in the roughJames Haynes is a jewel in the roughJames Haynes is a jewel in the rough (307)
Wink Re: How to tell who is logged on to the server?

you can also use the 'terminal services manager' in 'administrative tools' to see who is logged onto the computer either via console or RDP.

you can also see if the session is idle, and kick them off if need be.
Old 26th December 2007, 23:56
Casual
Casual

Question Re: How to tell who is logged on to the server?

Thanks to all those who responded.

To James & DYasny - what you wrote about seeing RDP / Terminal Services users is correct. However, I am really interested in being able to see a list of users who are logged on to the server "normally" - for example, users who log on to the server from their Win XP computer (not via Terminal Services).

To Kapilsharma - I understand what you are saying. However, I cannot believe that once the tickets are issued and the security token is sent to the user, that there is no periodic communication between the workstation and the server, even when the workstation doesn't request resources from the server. I would assume that the workstation logoff process does something at the server, and that the server is aware of the logoff. I would also assume that the server periodically checks that the workstation is still alive - that it didn't disconnect without logging off properly. If this is the case, then there must be an internal list on the server at all times that keeps track of workstations that have logged in, but have yet to log off, and that the server can still communicate with them. And if that is true, then I cannot understand why Microsoft didn't give us an easy way to see this list. After all, if we have to re-boot the server, how are we supposed to know if there are any users still attached to it even though at this moment they aren't using server resources?

-Michael
Old 27th December 2007, 01:44

Send a message via MSN to m80arm Send a message via Skype™ to m80arm
 Reputation: m80arm is just really nicem80arm is just really nicem80arm is just really nicem80arm is just really nice (359)

Check out psloggedon.exe:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897545.aspx

Quote:
PsLoggedOn is an applet that displays both the locally logged on users and users logged on via resources for either the local computer, or a remote one.
Michael

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points To grant some reputation points to the user that helped you, just click on the little Yin-Yang icon on the right of the user's answer and follow the prompt. where appropriate **
Old 27th December 2007, 01:51

Reputation: DYasny is a jewel in the roughDYasny is a jewel in the roughDYasny is a jewel in the roughDYasny is a jewel in the rough (325)

you can also set up logon audit, so you know who logged on and when

and there are more advanced tools. my company, for instance, uses msn messenger for internal comms, over SIP protocol - very easy to spot who is online
________
Aging Advice

Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011 at 19:55..
Old 30th December 2007, 19:55
Casual
Casual

Lightbulb Re: How to tell who is logged on to the server?

Michael,

I checked out Psloggedon, it is certainly interesting.

However, in a quick test that I did on my server, it seems only to show those users who have an open session on the server, not all users who have logged in at some point during the day and have yet to log off. It only shows the same users whom I would see under Sessions if I go in to Computer Management.

I started to read in the Help about Sessions, and perhaps the issue really is that sessions get automatically disconnected after 15 minutes if no server resources are used (they get automatically re-connected when the computer requests a resource from the server). I read some KB articles on changing the time interval before an automatic disconnection, and I will play around with that in the next few days. If I can get to a situation where Sessions will list all computers that have logged on to the server and have yet to log off, then that is exactly what I need.

-Michael
Old 30th December 2007, 20:04
Someone to look up to

Reputation: PaulH has a spectacular aura aboutPaulH has a spectacular aura aboutPaulH has a spectacular aura about (209)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlerner View Post
... it seems only to show those users who have an open session on the server, not all users who have logged in at some point during the day and have yet to log off. It only shows the same users whom I would see under Sessions if I go in to Computer Management.
Which, interestingly, proves what Kapilsharma was saying IMHO and therefore leads you to examine the sessions as you suggest, as long as you can get the session to last for ever (or a reasonably long period of time).
Old 31st December 2007, 17:46
Casual
Casual

Red face Re: How to tell who is logged on to the server?

Uh...well....OK, I guess that would support what Kapilsharma was saying.

I made 1 change to domain's Group Policy which I see gets to the workstations registry OK (something like "MS Network Server: Idle time before disconnecting" set to 240 minutes instead of undefined), but that doesn't seem to do the trick - probably because WinXP isn't a server. Winlogon.log on the workstation says that that's a "mismatch" and while it loads that into the registry of the WinXP computer, in actuality the sessions gets disconnected after a short time as usual. So I assume that its not the server that it doing the disconnection, its the workstation, so this policy isn't the correct one. I am still experimenting on how to best configure the session disconnection time.

-Michael
Closed Thread