Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Messaging Software > Exchange 2007 / 2010 / 2013
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

OWA Document sharing (file server)

OWA Document sharing (file server)

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 16926 times

Closed Thread

Old 4th January 2008, 00:55
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Question OWA Document sharing (file server)

hello,

I'm trying to get the document sharing feature to work.

So far I've manages to open shares on the exchange server and a network hard drive (Western Digital MyBookWorld).

When I try to access my file server I get an error message (see bottom of this post).

I've tried adding the file server to the allowed server list, which I also had to do with the network drive.
I've also tried enabling the guest account.
And I've tried searching a lot on the internet but I just can't find anything about this problem.

I really hope someone can help me with this, I guess it's a stupid simple permission problem, but I have no idea of where to find it.

thx,
Kiekeboe100

Error Message:
Outlook Web Access was unable to retrieve the requested Sharepoint document or folder. This may have occurred because of the way your Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft Sharepoint servers are configured. You can try going directly to the resource by copying the link you typed and pasting it into Internet Explorer. For more information, contact technical support for your organization.
Old 4th January 2008, 01:10
Here to help

Default Re: OWA Document sharing (file server)

Check out http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...007-Part1.html and http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...007-Part2.html
Get-Drink
Lay-Back
Start-Sleep
Wake-Up!
Resume-Service
Write-Warning
[/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com
Old 4th January 2008, 01:40
Casual
Casual

thx for your answer, but I have already tried that.

I think everything is set up ok on the exchange server as I can access the exchange server and the network drive without any problems.

I can't access my file server (or isa server, exchange edge server) which are in the same domain. I also have another file server not in the domain which I also can't access. The only option I haven't tried is a client pc (I only have one that hasn't been added to the domain yet which I can try, will do this tomorrow).

thx anyway,
Kiekeboe100

edit:
The title of the error window is "Authentication Failure". Which points me even more into the direction of security permissions I have to set up on the file server.

Last edited by Kiekeboe100; 4th January 2008 at 01:48..
Old 4th January 2008, 02:38
MVP
MVP

Reputation: Sembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud of (1116)

The fact that you are getting a Sharepoint error makes me wonder if your are putting the address in wrong.

When you enter the address, are you putting in \\server\share ?
Have you enter the file servers in the format of server and server.domain.local in the file server field?

I have just tested my own site and all I did was enable the feature both public and private access and then add the file servers. I had access without any other changes. Certainly did not have to enable the Guest account.

Simon.
Old 4th January 2008, 13:01
Casual
Casual

well, I've added my domain to the internal domain list,
then added server and server.domain.local to the allowed list.
In both Public and Private Computer File Access the Windows File Shares and Windows SharePoint Services are enabled. (going to try to disable the sharepoint services)

And no mather what I type in the url i keep getting that sharepoint error.
I tried:
\\server
\\server.domain.local
\\server\share
\\server.domain.local\share

when i try with the exchange server or the network disk it works perfect with just \\server-exchange.

edit: disabling the sharepoint services doesn't change anything to the error message. Maybe this is just a standard authentication failure message where they forgot to mention about file servers.

Last edited by Kiekeboe100; 4th January 2008 at 13:11..
Old 4th January 2008, 20:16
MVP
MVP

Reputation: Sembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud of (1116)

A concern I have is that you may have pulled around with the settings on the server and the virtual directories so much that are you are seeing authentication errors, because it isn't using the authentication settings you are expecting it to.

At this time I would be considering setting up a second set of directories on another internal IP address and setting up the option from scratch. After adding a second IP address to the server, create a second web site that is bound to that IP address. Then use Powershell to create new OWA virtual directories.

Also ensure that you have file access enabled as well as sharepoint and it is enabled for both public and private OR you are sure that you are accessing it the correct version. If you aren't using FBA then enable it so that you can be sure you are accessing the site as a Public or Private computer.

Simon.
Old 4th January 2008, 21:32
Casual
Casual

hello,

i'm using an isa server with form authentication.

on the exchange server I've only changed the authentication to standard authentication method, and selected integrated windows authentication and basic authentication.

and in isa i've changed the virtual directories so I don't need to use https.

Should I still try with everything set up standard?

In both public and private access is allowed to file servers and sharepoint servers, also the web document viewing is enabled in both.

Also keep in mind that opening the exchange server itself is working, as well as the network drive. Opening the clientpc also worked but I couldn't see any shared folders (but that's another problem, this also doesn't work in normal networking ). But I can't access the other servers (whether they are in the domain or not)

thx for your help,
Kiekeboe100
Old 8th January 2008, 00:40
MVP
MVP

The ISA function is where I cannot help. I don't have access to an ISA site at present and I don't use ISA at home (I prefer to use a real firewall).
The fact that the network drive works from the Exchange server is completely irrelevant to it failing to work through OWA. I suspect the problem is probably with ISA.
If you use OWA locally internally and connect to http://exchangeserver/owa login as normal and then try to access the drive through OWA, does it work then? If it does, then the problem is with ISA.

Simon.
Old 8th January 2008, 00:51
Casual
Casual

hello,

I think you misunderstood me.
When I access owa it is always from my laptop, never from the exchange server itself.

I've now tried to connect to owa from my laptop on the internal network through the isa server as well as accessing the exchange server directly. Also tried externally through isa.
All these times i could get on owa with no problems.
When i then try to open a network share on the file server (or any server) this fails. When i try to open a shared folder on the exchange server this works. As well as accessing a share on a network drive.

To make sure it wasn't isa, I have tried again by logging in on owa on the exchange server instead of through isa, but this is also not working (except the exchange share and network drive)

thx,
Stijn
Old 10th January 2008, 21:48
Casual
Casual

I am having the same issue:

I can connect to OWA with no problems, and I am using a "private" computer. I have specified both our exchange server EXCH1 and our file server FILE1 under the Allow List for Remote Files Servers.

Going through OWA Documents I can get to the shared folder \\EXCH1\Downloads, but I cannot get to any shares on \\FILE1 - I get the same error message

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can look for logged errors? There isn't anything in the event log for either EXCH1 or FILE1, nor anything in System32\logfiles that coresponds to the time of the attempts.

Thanks for any assistance,
-M
Closed Thread