Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Microsoft Networking Services > Active Directory
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Active Directory security

Active Directory security

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2064 times

Closed Thread

Old 24th January 2008, 12:14
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Default Active Directory security

Good morning all

if i disable an accout in AD, how do i prevent someone going in and enabling it again so documents can be retrived and then turned off

Thanks
Old 24th January 2008, 12:31

Send a message via MSN to m80arm Send a message via Skype™ to m80arm
 Reputation: m80arm is just really nicem80arm is just really nicem80arm is just really nicem80arm is just really nice (359)
Default Re: Active Directory security

Only people who have permission should be able to un-disable the account. If you dont trust them then they shouldn't have the permissions they have.

Or, You could create an OU and delegate permissions to yourself (and other trusted admins) and then move the user accounts into that OU once you have disabled them. That way only you have permissions over the user objects.

Michael

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points To grant some reputation points to the user that helped you, just click on the little Yin-Yang icon on the right of the user's answer and follow the prompt. where appropriate **
Old 24th January 2008, 12:36
Casual
Casual

Micheal,
Thanks for your reply. but the problem is an Manager is leaving. but there friend is the IT admin. i will disable the account so they are unable to login to the account. but can i put something in place so it will (1) show me who does access the account (2) not give access out.

it is a very sensative area. and i do not with them to know that i would be aware if anyone access the account.
Old 24th January 2008, 13:27
MVM

Reputation: Stonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really nice (405)

1 ) If "The IT Admin" is your superior and he is behaving inappropriately then you need to report it over his head, not take your own action to prevent him (which he will undo).

2 ) Auditing can be set on the Manager's user account - you can audit the "Write all properties" event and every time someone changes something about that account an event will be written to the Event Log. THERE IS NO WAY TO HIDE THIS.

3 ) As someone above said, put the user's account into an OU that the IT Admin doesn't have access to; however if he is a Domain Admin he will simply be able to take ownership and remove the permissions, EVEN IF THERE IS A SPECIFIC DENY.

Really - the best bet is to report it and wash your hands of it. Oh - and change your password - that way only you can use your account.

Tom
For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you
Old 24th January 2008, 13:29
Administrator

Reputation: biggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to behold (953)

You could enable auditing so you would have a log of what was done and by who.

Also share your concerns with another management member who you can trust and email any discussions so there is a record of what you talk about. Rule 1 is protect yourself. Change the password before you disable it so if it is re-enabled they won't be able to logon. Just throws a little kink into the works.
"There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!" Kenneth Lee - after being shot down during the Battle of Britain on the 18th August 1940.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 24th January 2008, 14:01
Casual
Casual

Thanks for the replies, i will do the simple one and change the password then disable the account. i will then know it the account has beed activeated or not.

How do i enable auditing
Old 24th January 2008, 14:13

Send a message via MSN to m80arm Send a message via Skype™ to m80arm
 Reputation: m80arm is just really nicem80arm is just really nicem80arm is just really nicem80arm is just really nice (359)

There is ample information about this on the t'internet.

Here is some to get you going:

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articl...-Auditing.html

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points To grant some reputation points to the user that helped you, just click on the little Yin-Yang icon on the right of the user's answer and follow the prompt. where appropriate **
Closed Thread