Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Terminal Server - hide shut down button

Terminal Server - hide shut down button

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 37763 times

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2008, 14:46
Here to help

6 month star 12 month star
 Reputation: RobW has a spectacular aura aboutRobW has a spectacular aura about (167)
Default Re: Terminal Server - hide shut down button

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJG247 View Post
Glad you fixed it.
The question was just to make sure you didn't mean there was an icon actually ON the desktop as such as some utilities can add shutdown/restart etc shortcuts and these woudln't be affected by group policy (well removing them wouldn't)
Ya, poor choice of words in my description
Old 21st May 2008, 14:56
Here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
That was a key in Windows 2000 I was reluctant to add it in Server 2003. My solution was in User Configuration - Administrative Templates - Start Menu and Taskbar

Thanks
It works for 2003 also.
And yes it is available through GPO and local policies.
Get-Drink
Lay-Back
Start-Sleep
Wake-Up!
Resume-Service
Write-Warning
[/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com
Old 21st May 2008, 15:00
Someone to look up to

For the record, if a standard user has permissions to shutdown the TS server, then you have a rights problem on that server. You may have solved the issue by hiding the button, but they can still issue a Shutdown.exe in a cmd box, which they should not have the ability to do.

Create a new user and make sure the only membership he has is to log onto the TS server. Is the Shutdown command still there for the user? Check the TS server's local group memberships (if available) to make sure users are not in the admins group.

For my peace of mind, I'd like to know what you find.
+-- System Admin, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
|
Old 21st May 2008, 15:03
Here to help

Reputation: RobW has a spectacular aura aboutRobW has a spectacular aura about (167)

I initially looked at a GPO but that would have removed the shutdown button on all the servers, not something I wished to do.

I found this limitation could be overcome by putting the TS in a different OU but this was starting to become a complicated process for such a minor task - hiding a button.
Old 21st May 2008, 15:10
Here to help

The users created on the Small Business Server domain have no special group created for the terminal server. I have implicitly denied all users the ability to log on to a terminal server in their user profile with the exception of three users.

These three users, the terminal server users, are domain users only and not members of the TS local administrator group.

I am not concerned if the shutdown command is available. I am trying to eliminate a clerical user from accidently shutting down the server when they log out of a TS session.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMils View Post
For the record, if a standard user has permissions to shutdown the TS server, then you have a rights problem on that server. You may have solved the issue by hiding the button, but they can still issue a Shutdown.exe in a cmd box, which they should not have the ability to do.

Create a new user and make sure the only membership he has is to log onto the TS server. Is the Shutdown command still there for the user? Check the TS server's local group memberships (if available) to make sure users are not in the admins group.

For my peace of mind, I'd like to know what you find.