Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Server 2008 64 Bit locks up users "My Computer" and Network Shares

Server 2008 64 Bit locks up users "My Computer" and Network Shares

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 8524 times

Closed Thread

Old 3rd June 2008, 22:36
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Default Server 2008 64 Bit locks up users "My Computer" and Network Shares

Hello Everyone-

My question has to do with Windows Server 2008 64 Bit and network shares. Basically what happens is every few days some of my users start losing the ability to open any network shares to this server or even open their "My Computer" on their own desktop. When the users tries to open "My Computer" the box opens up but there nothing in there and the program has pretty much locked up. If you leave it sit for awhile it might close or timeout where you can do something. Not all users will experience this problem when it happens, just some of them. The only way that I have been able to fix this problem when it happens is to reboot the server. Once the server is rebooted, all the users go back to working normally, until the problem happens again. I have also notice that DFS is inaccessible from this server as well. Not all shares uses DSF in our setup at this time. It's almost like anything that has to do with file sharing on the server has been cut off for some reason.

I have checked all the event logs on both side of the network and can't find any reports or events that would lead me to a clue on what the problem could be. There is nothing that I can think of that would lead me to anything to help solve this problem. I hope that someone here has seen this problem or could offer me things to check until a solution can be found for this.

System Background:

Domain Controllers - Server 2003
Exchange Server - Server 2003
All other server besides this file server are 2003 or 2003 R2.

Thanks in advance,
-Joey
Old 6th June 2008, 01:41
[MSFT]
Guru

Send a message via MSN to guyt
 Reputation: guyt is a name known to allguyt is a name known to allguyt is a name known to allguyt is a name known to allguyt is a name known to allguyt is a name known to all (592)
Default Re: Server 2008 64 Bit locks up users "My Computer" and Network Shares

What AV do you have installed on the server? Does temporary disabling it solves the issue?
Old 18th June 2008, 18:51
Casual
Casual

Have you tried disabling the "Receive Window Auto tuning", can be reversed. Had nightmare on a client's site with network browsing issues, lost mapping, disconnections. On the desktops I was getting freezes upon hitting "my computer", "my network places" even the "start" button. Once disabled everything was fine. Mind you this 2008 64 bit server is a Dell 2900III with a Broadcrap card.

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934430

Last edited by Technome; 18th June 2008 at 18:57..
Old 18th June 2008, 21:33
Casual
Casual

Sorry for not getting back on this in awhile. Been out of town on business and just not getting caught back up.

I have tired to uninstall Antivirus software, and that did help any.

As for disabling the "Receive Window Auto tuning" I have not tired that. This sounds more like its on the client side not the server side. Is this correct?

I really think that my problem had to do with Hyper V. There were two things wrong with the setup that I was using.

1. I was using RC0 instead of RC1 which RC0 had issues with it virtual switch that it creates, so I was told by MS.

2. Instead of using two NICs with Hyper V I was only using one. I didn't think that you should use two NIC on the same subnet, but for what I have read Hyper V pretty said that's the way it should be setup. One NIC for the Hyper Virtual Switch and one for the host server itself.

So for now I have fixed the issues listed above and everything seems to be working well. I have not had to restart the server since Monday, nor have I had any clients complaining about lockups. Lets hope that it stay that away. I'll keep you posted if that fixed the problem or not.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions on this problem as well.

Joey

PS - I like the "Broadcrap card" comment you made!!!!!!!!
Old 2nd December 2008, 21:52
Casual
Casual

I know this is an old topic so I wouldn't expect a response, but....

How was Hyper V reacting with your system? Were all of your servers residing as virtual machines within the 2008 server?

Thanks for you help if you do get this.
Closed Thread