Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Messaging Software > Exchange 2000 / 2003
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Restrict users not to send email outside, only local mailing

Restrict users not to send email outside, only local mailing

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 31749 times

Closed Thread

Old 11th March 2005, 16:23
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Default Restrict users not to send email outside, only local mailing

Hi,
We have an HP Proliant server, Win2K Server installed, Exchange 2000 Server SP3, with latest security patches and hotfixes applied.
This server is Domain Controller of Active Directory domain and serves the global catalog.
Every user which has an emailaccount can send email to internal users but also to every domain outside the company. => Local mailing + Internet mail.
Now I want to create some new users which should only have the possibility to send email to local users and NOT to send internet mail.
Can someone tell me how to do this ? Or explain which settings need to be adjusted or filled in.

PS : How can I change settings from existing users to restrict them also not to send internetmail.
NOTE : this should not be applied to all users, only to certain users.

Thanks in advance.
Greetings,
Jo
Old 11th March 2005, 17:23

Reputation: tonyyeb is a jewel in the roughtonyyeb is a jewel in the roughtonyyeb is a jewel in the rough (283)
Default RE: Restrict users not to send email outside, only local mailing

http://www.petri.com/block_incoming_..._or_groups.htm

This stops incoming mail, i have seen somewhere that you can also stop sending, a quick google should provide the answer.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points To grant some reputation points to the user that helped you, just click on the little Yin-Yang icon on the right of the user's answer and follow the prompt. where appropriate **
Old 11th March 2005, 17:52
Wrote the book

Reputation: danielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud of (1198)

One method is by only using X400 types of email addresses, thus stopping the user from sending and receiving internet mail. Another method is by setting up an SMTP Connector to the address space of *, and blocking the user from sending mail through it.

Daniel Petri
Microsoft Senior Premier Field Engineer
MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT
Old 11th March 2005, 18:09
Casual
Casual

Thanks allready for the hint & tips.. I'll have a look on it, and do the test.. I searched allready via google but didn't find that usefull tip or hint as you've provided me.
Old 12th March 2005, 16:30
Casual
Casual

I take the no tolerance approach. Way i see it, is if you were having problems with certain users, compromising email policys or messing about on the net, just simply disable there access 2 all these things. I'm sure those who work especially, in education will agree...

Otherwise the above is a much better subtle solution, yes!

An Interesting one 2! Cheers
Old 1st April 2005, 15:02
Casual
Casual

Default SMTP Connector did not work.. PLEASE HELP !!!

I created smtp connector, address space = * and specified in the field REJECTED USERS : the userid of that user which isn't allowed to SEND EXTERNAL mail (= internet email)
Log off useraccount & re-log on.. did the test.. user is still able to SEND external mail.

Where can I specify that 1 specific user (from Act.directory) is not allowed to SEND emails to the internet.
Same question for RECEIVING mail from the internet !

Many thanks !!!!

Greetings,
Jo
Old 4th April 2005, 01:33
Wrote the book

Reputation: danielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud of (1198)

Just like I said:

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF009.html

Daniel Petri
MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT
Old 4th April 2005, 11:59
Casual
Casual

Default It all works..

just as you've said

So MANY THANKS.. and I really appreciate the quick and very helpfull respons and tips !!!

Kind Regards,
Jo
Old 4th April 2005, 17:59
Casual
Casual

Default restrict only to CERTAIN DOMAINS...

As you explained previously, which I've also tested succesfully, it's possible to restrict users from sending and/or receiving internet mail according to their group membership.
I wonder if it is also possible to restrict these users so that they only can send and receive email from 1 or 2 domains (for example : *.COM) but not to other domains.

Searching on the web didn't give me a good result.

Thanks in advance !
Jo
Old 4th April 2005, 20:20
Wrote the book

Basically it's all a matter of playing with SMTP Connectors. You create one with * and restrict, then you create one with *.COM and loow, and so on.

Daniel Petri
MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT
Closed Thread