Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Networking > General Networking
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Facebook ports

Facebook ports

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 18345 times

Closed Thread

Old 4th July 2008, 15:50
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Default Facebook ports

hi Im a network administrator in project and I have 3com wireless router, i want to close the messenger and face book ports in the router so no one can use it in the work hours, which ports I should close or what should I do?
Thanks
Old 4th July 2008, 16:23

Reputation: L4ndy is a glorious beacon of lightL4ndy is a glorious beacon of lightL4ndy is a glorious beacon of lightL4ndy is a glorious beacon of lightL4ndy is a glorious beacon of lightL4ndy is a glorious beacon of light (541)
Default Re: Facebook ports

First of all, Can you specify your router Model, ad tell us a bit more about your environment. Ie are you using Active Directory at all, Proxy/Firewall solution if any?
That way you may get a more accurate response.
But, to through a few punches in the dark, you'd be better disabling the Messenger service on the client machines rather than blocking any ports.
As for Facebook, Clients should use either port 80 or 8080 to connect to it. You can't block any of these ports (even if you had the option to do so) because that way you'll stop internet communication alltogether for clients that use that router.
But you can configure content filtering in your Firewall to stop access to that particular website.

Ta

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR
Old 4th July 2008, 17:21
Here to help

Facebook is strictly a http app as far as I am concerned.

The easiest way to do this with out a web filter would probably be to create some type of ACL that will deny all traffic to the IP(s) that are associted with facebook.com.

You can find those by doing an nslookup on facebook.com.
Old 7th July 2008, 12:20

Reputation: tonyyeb is a jewel in the roughtonyyeb is a jewel in the roughtonyyeb is a jewel in the rough (283)

If your router isn't clever enough to filter by DNS and you only have a few clients then I would suggest changing the hosts file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ so that facebook.com goes to 127.0.0.1

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points To grant some reputation points to the user that helped you, just click on the little Yin-Yang icon on the right of the user's answer and follow the prompt. where appropriate **
Closed Thread