Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > SBS 2000 / 2003 / 2008 / 2011
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Trust relationship between this workstation and primary domain failed!

Trust relationship between this workstation and primary domain failed!

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 83694 times

Closed Thread

Old 31st July 2008, 04:24
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Default Trust relationship between this workstation and primary domain failed!

Please Help!

I have no idea what is causing this issue across our whole site at work!

From Client Machines:

if i try to access \\<<servername>> i can access it from any workstation in the office!

If however i try to access \\<<machinename>> from the server i get this error!

\\<<machinename>> is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this resource. Contact Administrator of this system to find out if you have access permissions.

I have obviously had these errors in the past but the next section of the error is what is throwing me!

The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed.

I also have noticed there is an error in the client event viewer that relates to group policy's.

The Security System could not establish a secured connection with the server cifs/<<FQDN>> No authentication protocol was available.

I am sure this has something to do with it but what is odd is when i run gpupdate from the client this error is logged but if i change the password on the server for my user account the changes are reflected and work on the client which to me tells me that an authentication protocol is there and working!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards
Peter
Old 31st July 2008, 10:40
MVM

Reputation: Stonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really nice (405)
Default Re: Trust relationship between this workstation and primary domain failed!

Right, well, let's start with some basics shall we?

Give us some INFORMATION to go on - like for instance:

1. What OS your domain controllers are running?
2. What OS your workstations are running?
3. What speed and spec is the network between them?
4. How many DCs you have and how well are they connected?
5. Have you run REPLMON and done the "test domain for errors"?

This will at least start us off...

Tom
For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you
Old 17th October 2008, 17:32
Casual
Casual

Default Re: Trust relationship between this workstation and primary domain failed!

This may already be resolved but here's a response for any other sufferers !

Firstly, before chopping and changing settings, please make sure your DNS Settings are correct, your primary DNS Server on each workstation should be pointing to the SBS Server's own IP address. Access permissions are always scuppered if there are and DNS Issues, and this one is usually to blame. Whilst you are checking the DNS Settings, confirm your Gateway settings are pointing to either your Router, Firewall or SBS if it's configured as so.

Your problem is the Trust Relationship, normally brought on by reloading SBS Server and not reconfiguring the Workstations. A Quick fix is performed by Going into your Network Properties on each station and changing the Domain to a workgroup - call the workgroup anything, click OK, and when your computer says Welcome to the "anything" workgroup, you simply need to OK this, then change the settings back to the Domain, enter the domain, then it should be fine.

You dont need to restart the Computer anfter making each change contrary to popular belief, trust me, i;ve done it a million times !

Hope this helps

Adrian
Closed Thread