Petri.co.il forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Virtualization > VMware Virtualization
Petri.co.il is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

ESX 2 using NFS datastore

ESX 2 using NFS datastore

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 5656 times

Closed Thread

Old 7th August 2008, 00:52
Casual
It's not a coincidence

6 month star 12 month star
  Send a message via MSN to gotenks1321
Default ESX 2 using NFS datastore

Hi all,

I'm new here so please go easy on me

I have ESX 2 installed on a machine for training purposes but unforunately I do not have any SCSI drives in that machine nor do I have one spare that does. I have another machine that is running FreeNAS for all my SAN needs and have an NFS server setup on that.

I have setup a share and am able to create a datastore in ESX 3 and create virtual machines with no problems. However I'm not able to configure version 2 to see this store and use it. Any ideas? I've already mounted the share on the ESX server but that seems to have made no difference

My linux knowledge isn't great but I'm very willing to learn, hence the setting up the server in the first place

Thanks
Old 7th August 2008, 06:34

Send a message via ICQ to jasonboche
 Reputation: jasonboche is just really nicejasonboche is just really nicejasonboche is just really nicejasonboche is just really nicejasonboche is just really nice (409)
Default Re: ESX 2 using NFS datastore

ESX 3 was the first version of ESX to support VMFS datastores on iSCSI and NFS. In other words, iSCSI and NFS datastores won't work with ESX 2.x.

Just curious, why in the world would you want to train on a 4+ year old product?
VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.
Old 7th August 2008, 11:16
Casual
It's not a coincidence

Thanks. That's what I thought as I hadn't found anything to say otherwise but I was hoping there was a way

Basically I'm a lowly primary school technician and was thinking about moving on when I started talking to someone I know. He said he works setting up ESX servers for a company and could lend me the training materials and guides for me to have a look and see if that's the way I wanted to go.

I downloaded a trial version of ESX 3 from VMWare but by the time I'd managed to get everything setup and get FreeSAN working the license file had run out So now I have a fully licensed (for training anyway) version of 2.5 and a trial version of 3 that has run out.
Old 7th August 2008, 11:53
Casual
It's not a coincidence

Hmm, after looking around on the VMWare website. Would it be better for me to download ESXi and use that instead?

Their registration seems to be down at the moment though
Old 8th August 2008, 17:52

Reputation: jasonboche is just really nicejasonboche is just really nicejasonboche is just really nicejasonboche is just really nicejasonboche is just really nice (409)

For sure you're better off training on ESX3 with a trial license or extended trial license. I have deep roots within VMware and may be able to get you a 60 or 90 day license. Before that happens though, make sure you've got hardware that it will run on so you don't waste any valuable license days trying to fix a hardware situation.

ESX3i versus ESX3: Personally I'm an advocate of ESX3. You'll be able to familiarize yourself with the full blown service console (COS). I'd avoid the "free" version of ESXi because it's going to be very limited in what features you can study. You'll want the trial license for VI Enterprise which can stack on top of ESXi, just be aware of the license key you have and whether or not its for ESXi or ESX - they are most likely different.

Jas
VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
Old 8th August 2008, 17:56
Casual
It's not a coincidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonboche View Post
For sure you're better off training on ESX3 with a trial license or extended trial license. I have deep roots within VMware and may be able to get you a 60 or 90 day license. Before that happens though, make sure you've got hardware that it will run on so you don't waste any valuable license days trying to fix a hardware situation.

ESX3i versus ESX3: Personally I'm an advocate of ESX3. You'll be able to familiarize yourself with the full blown service console (COS). I'd avoid the "free" version of ESXi because it's going to be very limited in what features you can study. You'll want the trial license for VI Enterprise which can stack on top of ESXi, just be aware of the license key you have and whether or not its for ESXi or ESX - they are most likely different.

Jas
Hmm, ok. I have had it up and running but as I went to start the VM it decided my license file had run out I had a 30 or 60 day trial to begin with but another one would be great if possible I didn't know it was possible to extend it.

I've downloaded ESXi now but not got a machine with SCSI drives to try it. If it's as you say then I'll leave it for now

Thanks
Old 8th August 2008, 18:04

You can't "extend" an existing license file. The fix is to obtain an additional license file from a VMware rep.

I've sent a note to my guy asking for a 60-90 day license for you.

Jas
Old 8th August 2008, 18:11
Casual
It's not a coincidence

Ah I see. Thankyou very much
Old 8th August 2008, 18:38

Bad news, I got shot down. They are limiting the extended license files for qualified accounts and proof of concept deployments only. Sorry.
Old 8th August 2008, 21:01
Casual
It's not a coincidence

Ah ok. Thankyou for asking anyway I may one day be doing a proof of concept in the main school I work in but that won't be for a few years until I've at least got my head round it.

Thankyou again I shall soldier on and see what I can come up with using what I've got
Closed Thread