Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Virtualization > Virtual Server & Virtual PC
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Mouse working in VM OS, but how do I get it back to Host OS

Mouse working in VM OS, but how do I get it back to Host OS

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 8342 times

Closed Thread

Old 18th August 2008, 18:08
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Cool Mouse working in VM OS, but how do I get it back to Host OS

I am loading Linux in Virtual PC. The get the mouse to work in the VM session, I had to click in the VM window. I have done several tasks and it is loading my OS in the VM session. However, now I don't know how to get the mouse to work back in the host OS. All I can do is move the mouse to the edge of the VM window.

Arg!!!!
Old 18th August 2008, 18:33
MVM

Reputation: Stonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really nice (405)
Default Re: Mouse working in VM OS, but how do I get it back to Host OS

Press "CTRL" and "ALT" together to release the mouse...

Tom
For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you
Old 18th August 2008, 21:29

Reputation: sorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to all (561)
Lightbulb Re: Mouse working in VM OS, but how do I get it back to Host OS

By default, the Host key both in Virtual PC and Virtual Server is the Right Alt. Pressing it will release the mouse from the VM back to the host. The same when you go full screen and you want to go back to windowed mode.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
- Bill Cosby
Old 19th August 2008, 00:58
MVM

Reputation: Stonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really nice (405)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorinso View Post
By default, the Host key both in Virtual PC and Virtual Server is the Right Alt. Pressing it will release the mouse from the VM back to the host. The same when you go full screen and you want to go back to windowed mode.
Whoops - my apologies - I was talking VMWare again...

Tom
For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you
Old 20th August 2008, 23:45
Casual
Casual

Have you installed vmware tools on your VM?
One of the benefits is that, with VMware tools installed, the mouse and keyboard should automatically release when you mouse back to your host machine.

But if not, the Ctrl-Alt pair mentioned above should always release your mouse.

Note that VMware tools are OS specific and when an OS is updated, it may be a while before there is a new VMware tools to match. (I've always used the last working version with no harm done even if they don't completely install; do so at your own risk!).

VMware tools are installed on the virtual machine itself, not in the console. Each VM you create needs it's own installaiton. The installer is located on the console under the Vm menu item

Last edited by wbliss; 20th August 2008 at 23:51..
Old 21st August 2008, 08:36

Reputation: sorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to all (561)

Dude, we're talking VirtualPC here... Not VMWare.
There are VM Additions available for VirtualPC, but they don't work that good with Linux...
@demanlov: try to install the VM additions, see if it will work ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
- Bill Cosby
Closed Thread