Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Messaging Software > Exchange 2000 / 2003
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Email Rejected with "550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable"

Email Rejected with "550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable"

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 50451 times

Closed Thread

Old 31st October 2008, 20:35
Casual
It's not a coincidence

6 month star 12 month star
Default Email Rejected with "550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable"

Here is what I get when I try to send from my gmail account

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable (state 14).

i have not been able to get mail since late afternoon.

any help is appreciated.
Old 31st October 2008, 21:46
Administrator

Reputation: Wired is just really niceWired is just really niceWired is just really niceWired is just really nice (384)
Default Re: URGENT help needed

What's the exact problem? There's almost NO information to go on.

When you're sending email, you're getting an error from the RECEIVER that their mailbox is unavailable. This has nothing to to w/ getting email on your gmail account.

Now, is your ACTUAL problem something to do with your EXCHANGE mailbox not getting email?
If so, what version of Exchange do you have?
Have you done any troubleshooting so far?
If so, what did you do and what did you find out?
Is this affecting any other Exchange mailboxes?

Also, I'd recommend you read the rules, as they state that thread titles should be descriptive, not like it currently is.
Old 31st October 2008, 23:13
Casual
It's not a coincidence

Default Re: URGENT help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired View Post
What's the exact problem? There's almost NO information to go on.

When you're sending email, you're getting an error from the RECEIVER that their mailbox is unavailable. This has nothing to to w/ getting email on your gmail account.

Now, is your ACTUAL problem something to do with your EXCHANGE mailbox not getting email?
If so, what version of Exchange do you have?
Have you done any troubleshooting so far?
If so, what did you do and what did you find out?
Is this affecting any other Exchange mailboxes?

Also, I'd recommend you read the rules, as they state that thread titles should be descriptive, not like it currently is.

ok guys, i figured out the problem....

my symantec mail security on the exchange server was set to only accept mail from 'a specific' ip address/domain name.

xnet was the only ip/domain name in that filed. i disabled the mail security and sure enough emails started to come through.

so now all i need to do is enable the mail security and plug in the proper ip/domain name from net solu and everything will be configured properly.

thanks.
Old 1st November 2008, 18:28
MVP
MVP

Reputation: Sembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud of (1137)
Default Re: Email Rejected with "550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable"

Question title updated to be more descriptive.

Urgent Help etc is not a good subject title.

Your problem was choosing Symantec for your AV. Remove it and most problems will go away, plus you can save money.

Simon.

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.
Old 1st November 2008, 21:06
Casual
It's not a coincidence

Default Re: Email Rejected with "550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sembee View Post
Question title updated to be more descriptive.

Urgent Help etc is not a good subject title.

Your problem was choosing Symantec for your AV. Remove it and most problems will go away, plus you can save money.

Simon.

well it was in place since i have been here and it was working fine.

i started having problems when i change my MX hosting provider.

although, if i cant figure out how to enable Symantec and get email to flow through, it might be time to go with something else.

what do you recommend that can do AV and Spam on a exchange server?

Thanks.
Old 1st November 2008, 21:15
Wrote the book

Reputation: gforceindustries is a jewel in the roughgforceindustries is a jewel in the roughgforceindustries is a jewel in the roughgforceindustries is a jewel in the rough (310)

Personally, I recommend NOD32 and Exclaimer.

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.
Old 2nd November 2008, 03:45
MVP
MVP

Reputation: Sembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud of (1137)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdlgns View Post
well it was in place since i have been here and it was working fine.
I call that the drunk driver's excuse.
The fact that it was there before doesn't mean that it was a good choice or that it was working correctly.

The simple fact is that Symantec causes me more problems with Exchange servers than any other product. It has reached the point where if I see Symantec installed on a server with problems then I blame the Symantec product until it is shown otherwise by its complete removal and reboot. In most occasions it is the cause of the problem.
Furthermore it is also one of the most expensive and bloated applications. Due to its market penetration what do you think all the spammers test their "work" on before deployment?

Spam - well recommending that is almost impossible because what works for one doesn't work for another. I find that IMF can work very well for some clients, for others it will be ineffective. GFI Mail Essentials can work, as can Exclaimer. You have to look at each product, evaluate it against what email you receive as a company before purchasing. Would you purchase a car without driving it?

For AV, anything but the big three (Symantec, Trend, McAfee). I usually recommend something other than what you are using on your desktops. That usually means Microsoft Forefront or GFI Mail Security.
Although I am actually starting to find that AV on an Exchange server is losing its value. It now only protects internal items that may be introduced by a user. In most cases the Antispam software blocks the virus infected messages because their distribution methods are identical, just with different payloads. I don't run Exchange specific AV on my home Exchange server.

Simon.

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.
Closed Thread