Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Messaging Software > Outlook
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Removing 'From' Field in Outlook 2003 - Inpersonating Users!

Removing 'From' Field in Outlook 2003 - Inpersonating Users!

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 15168 times

Closed Thread

Old 11th December 2008, 18:28
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Exclamation Removing 'From' Field in Outlook 2003 - Inpersonating Users!

Afternoon all!

This may sound like a relatively easy problem, but I cannot find anything on the Internet in regards to this! So I hope someone might've come across this before and could shed some light on the matter

We currently run Exchange 2000 with Outlook 2003 with approximately 180 users. The 'From:' field does not appear when composing a new mail, however it does appear when you reply to a mail.

We have found that you can remove the name (the name of the user composing the reply) from the 'From:' box and replace it with another username on the system ... Once the e-mail has been sent, it appears to have come from the username typed in!

Therefore you can send a message posing as someone else, which could get a bit messy! Eek!

Is there anyway to turn the 'From:' field off for all users? Will we have to go round per machine and remove the 'From:' box? Although that wouldn't stop the user re-applying the 'From:' field and having a bit of fun?

Hmmm!

Any ideas? Any information is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Kris
Old 11th December 2008, 18:51

Reputation: joeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to behold (678)
Default Re: Removing 'From' Field in Outlook 2003 - Inpersonating Users!

Is this really an issue or are you making it an issue? Users can figure out how to do almost anything they put their minds to. Are looking for all potential loopholes in all the software your users use and trying to block those loopholes? Do you have users who are doing this? It seems that a good AUP and enforcement policy should do the trick in stopping this behavior.

I can drive my car 60mph into a wall if I want to, should the manufacturer design an "anti driving your car fast into a brick wall" feature. Should they remove the gas pedal so that I can't do this.

I can put my head into an oven, should the manufacturer put a "there's a head in the oven" sensor in to stop me from doing this?

My point is that users will always find a way to do something you don't want them to. You can't address every problem with a technical fix.
Old 11th December 2008, 18:58
It's not a coincidence

This is from memory, please accept my appologies if it's not 100% right.

In Outlook the From field is only available if Word is being used as it's email editor, to stop this you can force Outlook to use "Outlook", plain text or rich text when composing,replying or forwarding by using a group policy.

Hope this helps.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson
Old 11th December 2008, 19:00
Wrote the book

Reputation: gforceindustries is a jewel in the roughgforceindustries is a jewel in the roughgforceindustries is a jewel in the roughgforceindustries is a jewel in the rough (310)

I've checked the Group Policy settings for Outlook 2003, and there is no way to disable this through GP. Therefore if you are able to disable it client-side, then your users can easily re-enable this.

As Joe suggested, this is a policy matter rather than a technical matter. I can accidentally delete files from My Documents, therefore we have backups. But I can't accidentally change the sender on an email. That takes a user who is determined to do it, and if you have users who are doing it, then they need to be disciplined. Fire someone for it, and you'll see attitudes change pretty quickly.

Edit: Just seen g00ner's post. You may be able to disable it indirectly.

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.
Old 11th December 2008, 19:07
It's not a coincidence

I've just been looking into this in my lab. You need the Outlook 2003 ADM as per the screenshot.

Edit: This ADM is part of the Office 2003 Resource Kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot060.png
Views:	677
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	2764  

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Last edited by g00ner; 11th December 2008 at 19:09..
Old 11th December 2008, 19:10
Wrote the book

Reputation: AndyJG247 is a jewel in the roughAndyJG247 is a jewel in the roughAndyJG247 is a jewel in the roughAndyJG247 is a jewel in the rough (349)

The most pointed question is "Why are your users allowed to send as other users?" This is not by default so someone has enabled this on purpose.

Please read this before you post:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Old 11th December 2008, 19:11
It's not a coincidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJG247 View Post
The most pointed question is "Why are your users allowed to send as other users?" This is not by default so someone has enabled this on purpose.

Good point well made!!

Old 11th December 2008, 19:11
Someone to look up to

Reputation: uk_network has a spectacular aura aboutuk_network has a spectacular aura about (182)

If you download the office resource kit and add in the outlk11.adm you will get the options there. Check my screen shot.
Might be worth testing this in a lab first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ork.JPG
Views:	754
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	2765  

MCITP -W7,
MCSA+Messaging, CCNA in progress.
Closed Thread