Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Client Operating Systems > Windows Vista
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

How do I give MYSELF permission to delete my own files, when I am the ADMIN?

How do I give MYSELF permission to delete my own files, when I am the ADMIN?

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 12390 times

Closed Thread

Old 30th December 2008, 02:45
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Default How do I give MYSELF permission to delete my own files, when I am the ADMIN?

I am trying to delete McAfee from my computer because I installed ZoneAlarm (which took me 5 hours, thanks to McAfee deleting it for some reason), so it is no longer needed. So, I search for McAfee on my hard drive, and what I haven't been able to delete comes up:

When I try to delete it, however, I get this message.

Properties:

I tried removing Read-Only and deleting, but it just reverts back to Read-Only.

Any suggestions?

P.S., I'm new to Vista and this site, so cut me some slack. I did try searching for any existing threads with this topic, and couldn't find one, but if there is one, just post the link.

Also, if there is any other info i need to include, let me know.
Old 30th December 2008, 03:46
MVM

Reputation: Stonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really niceStonelaughter is just really nice (405)
Default Re: How do I give MYSELF permission to delete my own files, when I am the ADMIN?

First thing's first...

Zone Alarm is a Firewall.
McAffee is an Anti-Virus product.

Why do you think that having Zone Alarm means you don't need McAffee?

Secondly; you can't just "Delete" Program Files. You need to use the "Uninstall" option which came with the program, or the "Add/Remove Programs" icon in the control panel, to remove software from your PC.

(p.s. I don't know what "Add/Remove Programs" is called in Vista - that's what it was called in XP).

Tom
For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you
Old 30th December 2008, 04:35
Casual
Casual

Default Re: How do I give MYSELF permission to delete my own files, when I am the ADMIN?

Well, first of all, the version of ZoneAlarm that I have is both anti-virus and anti-spyware.

Second; I tried removing/uninstalling/modifying before using Add or Remove Programs and a bunch of windows popped up asking me what was wrong and how to fix it, not how to uninstall it. So, I figured that I would just go and delete anything and everything that said McAfee. For some reason though, I just uninstalled it from Add or Remove Programs, then it let me delete the other files.

Thanks

Post of ZoneAlarm:

EDIT: I am removing McAfee because it deletes some programs and files I try to install on my computer. And I just like the way ZoneAlarm works.

Last edited by Phoenix Person; 30th December 2008 at 04:38.. Reason: Additional Info
Old 30th December 2008, 06:33

Reputation: ahinson is just really niceahinson is just really niceahinson is just really niceahinson is just really niceahinson is just really nice (440)

Short answer to your question is this...

Sometimes applications will install files but remove all users except the System Account from a file so it can't easily be deleted. To delete it if this is the issue start by taking ownership of the file first then delete it.

Right click the file, click Properties, click Security tab, click the Advanced button, click the Owner tab, under the ownership area within then window click the edit button, then select the user to change it to. If your account isn't in the list click the other users or groups button and find it. After you own the file you should be allowed to delete it.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 30th December 2008, 10:30

Reputation: sorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to all (561)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonelaughter View Post
(p.s. I don't know what "Add/Remove Programs" is called in Vista - that's what it was called in XP).
It's called Programs and Features .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Person View Post
a bunch of windows popped up asking me what was wrong and how to fix it
This is not Vista's behavior... Sounds more like McAffee's. Disregard those windows and uninstall the application as it should be done: from Control Panel -> Programs and Features.
Just thought of something: have you by any chance altered UAC's default behavior?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
- Bill Cosby

Last edited by sorinso; 30th December 2008 at 10:31.. Reason: later in the day ... :)
Old 30th December 2008, 20:07
Casual
Casual

Actually, I turned off UAC before trying to uninstall again. I'm not really sure if that has anything to do with what happened before, but I'm still leaving UAC off, just in case.

Anyways, thanks to everyone for all their help.

Last edited by Phoenix Person; 31st December 2008 at 05:21.. Reason: Confusing typos
Old 30th December 2008, 21:30

Reputation: sorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to all (561)
Exclamation Re: How do I give MYSELF permission to delete my own files, when I am the ADMIN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Person View Post
Actually, I turned off UAC
That is one big NO-NO-NO ...
You might solve the problem by turning it back on and trying to uninstall McAffee.... You will get a consent request dialog box and you'll need to approve it.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
- Bill Cosby
Old 31st December 2008, 05:16
Casual
Casual

Well, UAC annoys me. Frankly, almost everything vista-related annoys me. I don't need 2-3 separate windows asking me if it is actually me trying to move or install a file, not a hacker Besides, I already got rid of McAfee.

"So, I figured that I would just go and delete anything and everything that said McAfee. For some reason though, I just uninstalled it from Add or Remove Programs(Programs and Features), then it let me delete the other files." I did this after turning off UAC. I'm not sure if that helped or not, but I don't really see a need for UAC at the time.

BTW, I don't know how to quote. =/
Old 31st December 2008, 05:19
Casual
Casual

Actually, does any of this really answer my question?

Is there even a way to "give myself permission to delete my own files", or is it just a way for vista to tell me I'm doing something the wrong way?

EDIT: Also, I'm thinking about downgrading back to XP. Should I give vista more time to win me over, or go back to good-old XP?

Last edited by Phoenix Person; 31st December 2008 at 08:06..
Old 31st December 2008, 07:26

Reputation: ahinson is just really niceahinson is just really niceahinson is just really niceahinson is just really niceahinson is just really nice (440)

There's little we can say or do to stop you, ultimately whether or not you go back to XP is up to you.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Closed Thread