Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Windows Server 2008 drops its static IP Address and renews by DHCP

Windows Server 2008 drops its static IP Address and renews by DHCP

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 13751 times

Closed Thread

Old 12th June 2009, 11:19
Casual
It's not a coincidence

6 month star 12 month star
Default Windows Server 2008 drops its static IP Address and renews by DHCP

Good day to one and all!!!

I searched the forums already, but given the nature of this very random fault found it difficult to even get the search criteria right.

We are fairly new to Windows server 2008 & Ipv6 arena.

We recently deployed 400+ HP DL180 G5 servers with Windows 2008 Server, to act as NAS backup servers, running Symantec Backup Exec 12.5.

Problem
On some (not all) we have been finding that the Static IP address that we have provided on IPv4 seems to drop its connection and renews the address from the DHCP server. The only parameter the IPv4 setting retains is the Default Gateway.

There is only one physical network card installed on the server, but when you check the LAN settings the network card will now be called Local Area Connection # 2.

To resolve the issue we can complete one of two things....

Short Fix,
Create DHCP reservation on the network card MAC address, that way when the problem occurrs at worst it pick up the correct IP Address.
Disable the IPv6 option on the network card. Also un tick the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option in Power Managment.

Longer Fix,
Same as above but the following is also completed.
Delete any network card installtion from the registry and uninstall the network card from device manager, reboot the server and re enter the correct IP info. It seems to have resolved the issue, but is still being verified.

Whilst I think we have a temporary solution, the reason for the post is to better understand the cause of why the card seems to reinstall itself and renew the IP address from DHCP.

Thought I would put it out around the community to see if anybody else had experienced this, or it is a common issue we justy dont know about , or indeed we have missed something obvious.

I thank you all for taking the time to consider this in advance.
Old 12th June 2009, 20:35

Reputation: Dumber is a splendid one to beholdDumber is a splendid one to beholdDumber is a splendid one to beholdDumber is a splendid one to beholdDumber is a splendid one to beholdDumber is a splendid one to beholdDumber is a splendid one to behold (849)
Default Re: Windows Server 2008 drops its static IP Address and renews by DHCP

To me it sounds like a faulty nic...
http://www.phetios.com
http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
"No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
"If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Old 13th June 2009, 06:54

Reputation: joeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to behold (678)

Yep. Sounds like a NIC issue. When Windows enumerates the hardware tree on boot up it sounds like it's detecting the NIC as new hardware. If you look in the registry you'll find multiple entries for the NIC listed as Local Area Connection, Local Area Connect 2, etc.

I would try updating the drivers if the problem recurrs to see if that resolves the issue.
Old 15th June 2009, 12:42
Casual
It's not a coincidence

Think your spot on with this folks, I got a response from HP with same resolution, the drivers on the standard build are 3 years out of date.

Although, think its dodgy drivers as opposed to dodgy NIC

I cannot believe I missed that. We have already had to complete a Bios update on all 400 becuase of noisy fans.

Thanks for your interest and the raincheck.

We'll test this and hopefully resolve the issue.

Many thanks.
Old 15th June 2009, 12:56

Reputation: Dumber is a splendid one to beholdDumber is a splendid one to beholdDumber is a splendid one to beholdDumber is a splendid one to beholdDumber is a splendid one to beholdDumber is a splendid one to beholdDumber is a splendid one to behold (849)

Sometimes when you trying to resolve such issues you will start think in circles.
Anyhow, it can be either a dodgy nic and/or dodgy drivers. I would start replacing the drivers. It's the most easiest solution to implement..
If it won't work, then you always can try replacing the hardware.
http://www.phetios.com
http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
"No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
"If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Old 29th June 2009, 18:38
Casual
Casual

Just to let you know, that you are not the only one with the problem.

I installed a Windows Server 2008 x64 last week, and it has given me the same problem all weekend.
You advice about creating a dhcp-entry at the same IP address solved the issue for now.

What I found out:
It seems like the dhcp client on the 2008 server asks for a dhcp lease on boot before it uses the settings for a static IP.
Later on, half way through the dhcp lease time, it asks for a new lease. Even when it has static IP assigned.
And wierd enough, it happens even if dhcp client service is stopped and disabled.

I hate reinstalling the drivers again, especially because the server is already i production use.
So if one of you have a better solution, it would be nice.
Closed Thread