Petri.co.il forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2
Petri.co.il is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Slow connection with XP to Windows 2003 server

Slow connection with XP to Windows 2003 server

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 37319 times

Closed Thread

Old 2nd February 2004, 11:01
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Default Slow connection with XP to Windows 2003 server

I recently upgraded to Windows 2003 server and Windows Xp pro. The problem is that the Windows XP professional stations load the network shares very slowly.

This is not a problem if I access the 2003 server from a Windows 2000 Pro station. or if I access a Windows 2000 server from a XP station. Only when I am accessing a Windows 2003 server domain with a Windows XP Pro station.

Anyone have any ideas on this.
Old 2nd February 2004, 13:29

Reputation: Dumber is a splendid one to beholdDumber is a splendid one to beholdDumber is a splendid one to beholdDumber is a splendid one to beholdDumber is a splendid one to beholdDumber is a splendid one to beholdDumber is a splendid one to behold (844)
Default RE: Slow connection with XP to Windows 2003 server

you can take a look about SMB signing.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;814112
or
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;321169
Old 12th February 2004, 01:50
Casual
Casual

Default Slow connection to network shares

This fixed it for me, it's a registry change in the Server and in the XP boxes... worked like a champ.

Description:
I installed a Windows 2003 Server and set it up for a File Server Role and Domain Controller role. After I created the shares I connected my Windows XP machines to it. When I attemped to extract a 62K file on the share it took 1 minute. I found a fix for this problem. This only happens if the server is a Domain Controller and you are sharing folders off it. The server is experiencing an issue with delayed acknowledgments (or delack) to a domain controller. This is expected behavior and can be modified via a registry entry. This is also a problem when copying files to a Windows 2000 domain controller. In Windows 2000 the registry entry is "TcpDelAckTicks" and in Windows XP and 2003 the new registry entry is "TcpAckFrequency". On the Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller set the following registry key (I had to create the entry as it did not exist): Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Services\CurrentControlSet\Serv ices\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\ Value Type: REG_DWORDValue Name: TcpAckFrequency Valid Range: 1, 2 Default: 2 Description: This key sets the number of ACKs that will be outstanding before the delay ACK timer is ignored. So, if the value of this key is set to "1" then every packet should be ACKed immediately as there should only be one outstanding TCP ACK as a segment is just received. The value of "0" is invalid and will be treated as the default "2" as the only time ACK count is zero is when a segment is not received and the host is not going to ACK the data. Set this value to 1, reboot the server and you should be fixed!
Closed Thread