Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > SBS 2000 / 2003 / 2008 / 2011
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

How to access email for SBS 2003

How to access email for SBS 2003

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1947 times

Closed Thread

Old 2nd February 2010, 03:00
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Default How to access email for SBS 2003

hi, i have a SBS 2003 setup

my user need to access emails via 3 ways:
1. outlook
2. web (such as OWA)
3. mobile phone (Nokia & iPhone)

i configured normal exchange access for outlook, and OWA is working fine as well.

user requirements:
1.but user are travelling, and they would like to access exchange email without connecting to VPN.
2. they need to receive emails on handphone too.

i'm thinkging of configure POP3 for them, but my friend says to deploy outlook anywhere.

i'm not really understood, but heard people discourage POP3.
and could user access email from mobile phone anywhere, if i deploy outlook anywhere?

if not, can anyone suggest me the best deployment that can cope the needs of user as stated above?

appreciate if can include link to the setup guide as well, thanks in advance!
Old 2nd February 2010, 06:14
Administrator

Reputation: biggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to behold (875)
Default Re: How to access email for SBS 2003

Any reason why you haven't configured them to use RPC over HTTPS?

http://yourdomain.local/remote logon and the instructions are on the right side under Additional Links under Configure Outlook via the Internet. Print out the instructions and follow them.

Steven may know an easier way to get these instructions but he is an SBS Guru with several years as an SBS MVP. I on the other hand am just a novice compared to him.
"There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!" Kenneth Lee - after being shot down during the Battle of Britain on the 18th August 1940.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:45
Casual
Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles77 View Post
Any reason why you haven't configured them to use RPC over HTTPS?

http://yourdomain.local/remote logon and the instructions are on the right side under Additional Links under Configure Outlook via the Internet. Print out the instructions and follow them.

Steven may know an easier way to get these instructions but he is an SBS Guru with several years as an SBS MVP. I on the other hand am just a novice compared to him.
Hi Biggles77,

thanks for your reply.
the reason i havent configure the RPC over HTTPS is that i am newbie of exchange and not realize there is such technology.

may i confirm if there is any harm to use POP3 instead of RPC over HTTPS?

Because i need enbale access for Nokia and iPhone user.
Old 2nd February 2010, 14:54
Administrator

Reputation: biggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to behold (875)

RPC over HTTP is all setup when you install SBS 2003 R2 but I am not sure if this is due to it being R2 or the Service Pack but more likely the R2 version. (Will need to look that up tomorrow)

iPhone is easily setup to connect to an Exchange Server using the option in iPhone --> Mail, Contacts, Calendars and enter the required info. The easiest way I have found to import an SSL Certificate into an iPhone is to attach it to an email and send it to yourself. Then sync the iPhone with your Exchange Server. Once the email is on the iPhone just click on it and follow the instructions. There are other ways but as I said, this was the easiest for me.

As for the Nokia, who knows as there are different models and they may have different setup options. will help you out with those instructions unless you post the model here and hope someone has set one up previously. RTFM is also a good alternative to learning how to set them up.
"There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!" Kenneth Lee - after being shot down during the Battle of Britain on the 18th August 1940.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 2nd February 2010, 23:51

Send a message via MSN to teiger
 Reputation: teiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to behold (757)

Just an FYI: POP3 sends your details (like username and password) in plain text. Anyone capturing the info you send along the wire at ANY point in the journey can easily see and get access to your mail, probably your LAN and Exchange server also.
Note to Biggles77: I don't know of any other quicker way to get that Outlook Anywhere document.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
http://www.wintra.co.il/

Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.
Closed Thread