Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Windows Server 2003 Maintenance Best Practices

Windows Server 2003 Maintenance Best Practices

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 31058 times

Closed Thread

Old 26th August 2005, 19:14
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Lightbulb Windows Server 2003 Maintenance Best Practices

I am looking for the best practices for performing maintenance on my infrastructure environment. I know there isn't anything stating "YOU MUST" perform anything. I am trying to put together a list of items that should or need to occur on a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, annually occurance for management.

Thanks,

RLN Architect
Old 27th August 2005, 10:37
MVP
MVP

Send a message via MSN to yuval14
 Reputation: yuval14 is a glorious beacon of lightyuval14 is a glorious beacon of lightyuval14 is a glorious beacon of lightyuval14 is a glorious beacon of lightyuval14 is a glorious beacon of lightyuval14 is a glorious beacon of light (506)
Default Re: Windows Server 2003 Maintenance Best Practices

I dont know on official guide in this issue but I'm thinking that "IT Policy" books can supply you basic cover for backups, SLA etc. information.

Also, consider the following information:

1. Security best practice:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...dsecurity.mspx

2. Defrag schedule.

3. Application commutability and lab implementation before installation of new hotfixes, service packs, application etc.

4. Server hardware BIOS/firmware & drivers upgrade.

5. Checking the Performance of each server by using Performance Monitor or (recommended) MOM Server.

6. Active Directory schema version tracking.

7. Installation of Support Tools, Resource Kit Tools, Recovery Console on each server.

8. Saving new application that you install on the server on the local disk This will give you
Easy option to reinstall the application in case of problem.

9. Copy I386 to the server and change the path of:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Setup

Values: SourcePath, ServicePackSourcePath to C:\I386 for example.

Regards,

Yuval
Old 29th August 2005, 09:39
Casual
Casual

Default Re: Windows Server 2003 Maintenance Best Practices

Yuval covered it pretty well. some other things I can add:

-Configure auditing on your domain controler on any thing you might be interested in, "I.e. failed attempts to ____"

-on atleast a weekly basis go through and review your event viewer and review errors to make sure nothing serious is happening.

-test your back up media for restore, especially if you cycle tapes, and/or if its critical data.

-rename the administrator account, disable the guest account.

Some other things if you are really bored, create custom batch files for you domain controler of any common administrative task you do, such as Gpupdate to run after you change AD. I have heard of some administrators configuring Duel monitors on thier DC, 1 for administration task, and the others full time purpose is to show network monitor and performance / system monitors. This is a cool thing to do if you have the power too I think, it makes you appear more busy
Closed Thread