Petri.co.il forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2
Petri.co.il is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Idle network drive disconnects when idle.

Idle network drive disconnects when idle.

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 8818 times

Closed Thread

Old 1st April 2010, 22:59
It's not a coincidence

6 month star 12 month star
Default Idle network drive disconnects when idle.

Hi,

I'm having a problem.

Users network drives are being disconnected when PC stays idle too long (like during lunch). We have 2 servers (Win2k and Win2k8 STD(not R2)) right now and the problem happens with the network drive on only one of them (Win2k8 ).

I've tried the NET CONFIG SERVER /autodisconnect:-1 setting along with the 65535 setting and still no luck. Changed the logon script to add /PERSISTENT:YES and still the same problem.

Any idea would be appreciated hehe

Regards,

trep

Last edited by biggles77; 2nd April 2010 at 03:53.. Reason: Fix smilie issue
Old 2nd April 2010, 03:58
Administrator

Reputation: biggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to behold (809)
Default Re: Idle network drive disconnects when idle.

Is this what you have tried? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308582
Was it run on the Server or the Workstation?
"There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!" Kenneth Lee - after being shot down during the Battle of Britain on the 18th August 1940.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 2nd April 2010, 07:27
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Ossian
 Reputation: Ossian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant future (1520)

Do they just show as disconnected (red cross over drive) and reconnect automatically when clicked?
If so, is it a major issue?
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 2nd April 2010, 19:54
It's not a coincidence

This is what i've tried server side:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684

There's an application using the network drive. When it disconnects, the application crashes. When i click on the disconnected network drive, it reconnects itself. It's not mission critical but it's quite annoying hehe
Old 3rd April 2010, 03:44
Administrator

Reputation: biggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to behold (809)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles77 View Post
Is this what you have tried? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308582
Mmmmm, where did that come from? It was actually the same KB article you have in the above post that I was refering to.
"There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!" Kenneth Lee - after being shot down during the Battle of Britain on the 18th August 1940.

Old 4th April 2010, 23:03
Casual
Casual

You might research this registry edit.

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServe r\Parameters

DWord Hex
"autodisconnect"=ffffffff

Old 5th April 2010, 06:44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trep View Post
This is what i've tried server side:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684

There's an application using the network drive. When it disconnects, the application crashes. When i click on the disconnected network drive, it reconnects itself. It's not mission critical but it's quite annoying hehe
Check the Registry settings on the Workstation and modify them. That fixed the disconnect problem I experienced. (Have you converted the ffffffff into Decimal to see how long the disconnect time is? Interesting. )

Old 6th April 2010, 16:11
It's not a coincidence

I'll try this. Server side, the registry key was set to ffff. I mapped network drive on the server to see if they would get disconnected as well and they did even with the registry key. I'll plan a reboot and still apply the parameter to the workstations and see how it goes.

Thanks !
Old 13th April 2010, 15:24
It's not a coincidence

Well, problem is still there. XP and Vista machine are still experiencing it. Some machine who don't even have the autodisconnect parameter set are fine as well... However i've mapped network drives on a 2008 server and 2000 server to see if the problem would occur and it did not
Old 19th April 2010, 11:15
Casual
Casual

Trep,

I have been having the same issue and I think I found a solution. Look in the power managment options for your ethernet cards and or adapters to make sure they are set for performance mode or never to allow for power save modes. Let me know Thanks
Closed Thread