Petri.co.il forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2
Petri.co.il is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed..  HELP

Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed.. HELP

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 121504 times

Closed Thread

Old 5th September 2005, 13:59
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Default Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed.. HELP

Since Windows Update was updated to V6, I encounter the following problem.

"Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue:

Click option 1: Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)
Click option 2: Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem."

Clicking option 1 makes out like it's doing something useful, then goes back to the Windows Update screen offering Express (recommended) or Custom. Doesn't matter which you select, it sends you back to:
"Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue:"

Clicking option 2 does not send you to a place that helps you resolve the problem, it sends you to a screen where you can "SEARCH FOR YOURSELF" from scratch!

Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 5th September 2005, 15:38
MVP
MVP

Send a message via MSN to yuval14
 Reputation: yuval14 is a glorious beacon of lightyuval14 is a glorious beacon of lightyuval14 is a glorious beacon of lightyuval14 is a glorious beacon of lightyuval14 is a glorious beacon of lightyuval14 is a glorious beacon of light (501)
Default Re: Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed.. HELP

Please review:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._21509379.html

Regards,

Yuval
Old 6th July 2006, 18:17
Casual
Casual

Default Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed.. HELP

Solution:
This problem can be corrected by re-registering the various dll files that Windows Update requires to run.

To do this firstly click on the “Start” button then “Run” and enter the following command into the “Run” dialog box

· regsvr32 wuapi.dll

You should then receive a message to say it was successful. The above process then needs to be done for each of the following commands:-

· regsvr32 wups.dll

· regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

· regsvr32 wucltui.dll

· regsvr32 atl.dll

· regsvr32 msxml3.dll
Old 18th July 2006, 09:18
Casual
Casual

Default Re: Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed.. HELP

Thank u so much Paulprovance. My computer has been long awaiting a Windows Update. Your advice solved the problem instantly! Would a registry cleaner have deleted those necessary files? Or did everyone get this problem...thanks again!
Old 9th August 2006, 19:39
Casual
Casual

Many thanks to Paulprovance for this solution. It worked perfectly and I was finally able to update Windows.
Old 14th September 2006, 10:57
Staying around

Send a message via MSN to AndyUK

For those of you like myself that this didnt work for

I found an admin had removed messed with the update agent so although I was registering all of the required files nothing worked. My WSUS server would not send out the updates (116) that the machine needed so after searching I found this

This worked a treat
Use the Stand alone installer to install the Update Agent.
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=43264

If when you run this you get an message telling you its already installed then do the following.

Start > Run and type WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe /wuforce

all is now well on this guys machine

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **
Old 27th September 2006, 02:37
Casual
Casual

Thanks - that last one worked for me. I was really getting frustrated with this error message & re-registering did not work.

Thanks again!!!
Old 28th September 2006, 23:06
Casual
Casual

Default Re: Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed.. HEL

I tried all of the above and still am getting the same message in Windows Updates. Any other solutions out there? thanks.
Old 31st October 2006, 21:39
Casual
Casual

Default Re: Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed.. HEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by marya333 View Post
I tried all of the above and still am getting the same message in Windows Updates. Any other solutions out there? thanks.
I'm in the same boat you are. My background story is a bit more shakey though--my boss had me take a look at this malfunctioning workstation, and I suspect that its hard drive is pooping out (complete with weird noises and hideously slow folder browsing)... but that's another story. I ended up doing a Windows repair, which fixed several of the problems associated with booting up. When I went to perform a routine Windows Update I ran into the error message that this thread is about.

I instinctively ran an "sfc /scannow" with no luck. That was when I ran into this thread via google. I've tried everything mentioned but with no avail.

And just fyi, I'm running XP Pro. All background processes are normal, nothing out of the blue, and no essential service is stopped/not running.
Old 4th November 2006, 16:46
Casual
Casual

Hey guys

I am having the same problem - i'm runnin Server2003 as a workstation and everything I try seems to be failing.

I have tried regsvr32ing the dll's
Both the links that Microsoft give you
Reinstalling the WU client and still nothing!

Is this a big move for Microsoft to phase out WU and make us use Microsoft Update instead?
Closed Thread