Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Messaging Software > Exchange 2007 / 2010 / 2013
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Help on how to convert a user mailbox to a distribution list

Help on how to convert a user mailbox to a distribution list

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 10431 times

Closed Thread

Old 9th April 2010, 17:51
It's not a coincidence

6 month star 12 month star
Unhappy Help on how to convert a user mailbox to a distribution list

I have been struggling with how to convert a single user mailbox into a distribution list to add various user mailboxes to this list. I also do not want to delete that user mailbox to start a new distribution list again. Cant seem to find anyway to convert a mailbox into a distribution list or group.

- I am using both Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2003 servers; and I can seem to find any solutions to this..
Old 9th April 2010, 17:54

Reputation: joeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to beholdjoeqwerty is a splendid one to behold (689)
Default Re: Help on how to convert a user mailbox to a distribution list

Converting a mailbox into a distribution group? Never heard of doing such a thing. Do you mean that you want to have a distribution list that has the same email address as the mailbox?
Old 9th April 2010, 18:39
It's not a coincidence

Unhappy Re: Help on how to convert a user mailbox to a distribution list

Actually I have a particular user account mailbox which I now want to convert it into a distribution group using that particular name; I want mails coming in for that particular user account to be sent to other accounts now. and I still want to retain the mails in that particular user account.
Old 9th April 2010, 19:40
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Ossian
 Reputation: Ossian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant future (1674)

You will need to remove the email address from the account and then add it to the group
If you add an alternative address to the account you will still be able to access the emails
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 9th April 2010, 19:59
It's not a coincidence

If I understood right; you mean if I had for example a user mailbox named :- me@you.com and now I want other users to receive mails for this mailbox, I should delete the me@you.com email attribute and then add this user with a new email account me2@you.com to the distribution group I created with the new name me@you.com. Does it mean the new distribution group would still populate the old mails of me@you.com?.. thank you
Old 9th April 2010, 20:02
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Ossian
 Reputation: Ossian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant future (1674)

No, the mails would stay in the old mailbox -- a distribution group does not store messages anywhere
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Closed Thread