Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Client Operating Systems > Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Psexec error

Psexec error

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 13758 times

Closed Thread

Old 17th August 2010, 19:58
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Thumbs up Psexec error

Hi All,

am using 3rd party packaging tool to convert exe to msi and install the msi package throsilent installation using psexec tool. in most of the PCs i can able to install it silently, in few PCs i face error while executing it

1. the msiexec with error code 1603 ... which is not allowing the package to isntall....it is processing for a long time and then send the error code...

2. psexec is not a valid win32 application

Can any one have idea onn this error... if so pls guide me how to resolve it

Thing i have tried....

for "psexec is not a valid win32 application" error i have downloded a new psexec tool from internet and used , the account am installing is having admin access, msiexec and psexec is present in %window%\system32.... in both source and the target machine

For "msiexec with error code 1603 " error code i have checked the windows service firewall, workstation ,server and diagnostin host service and these are set to automatic and started... in both source and target machine

pls guide me
Old 17th August 2010, 23:07

Reputation: Rems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to behold (965)
Default Re: Psexec error

Show the psexec.exe command line.
Are you starting psexec from batch file or, running it from command prompt?

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts
Old 18th August 2010, 17:29
Casual
Casual

Thumbs up Re: Psexec error

Hi Rems

here you go >>

psexec \\hostname msiexec /i \\hostname\c$\tools\package name /quiet /qn

c:\tools - is where i copy my package and invoke the installation silently thro psexec

at times i wil combine two commans (copy and execute)

copy \\hostname\sharepath\packagename "\\target hostname\c$\tools|psexec \\hostname msiexec /i "\\hostname\c$\tools\package name /quiet /qn
Old 19th August 2010, 13:52
Casual
Casual

Wouldnt it be easier to do this through GPO if indeed you are on a domain, especially as you have the msi file already.
Old 24th August 2010, 07:51
Casual
Casual

we are in desktop support we dont have access to DCs thats the reason y we are using these tools to simplify our day to day tasks or rather repeated tasks....

can u pls suggest ...
Old 24th August 2010, 13:43

Reputation: Rems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to beholdRems is a splendid one to behold (965)

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajitry View Post
psexec \\hostname msiexec /i \\hostname\c$\tools\package name /quiet /qn

c:\tools - is where i copy my package and invoke the installation silently thro psexec

at times i wil combine two commans (copy and execute)
Msiexec.exe will be executed on the remote computer (\\targethostname) you have to use paths relative to that computer,, try,
Code:
Psexec.exe \\targethostname -w "%windir%\system32" -i -s msiexec.exe /i "c:\tools\packagename.msi" /quiet /qn
note: If psexec.exe is not in the current working directory or its path is not in %path% on the server then you should provide a full path to the psexec.exe file in the command: "c:\pstools\psexec.exe" <arguments>

To combine copying and executing to a one-liner, try something like,
Code:
(XCopy.exe /I /Y /D "\\servername\sharepath\packagename.msi" "\\targethostname\c$\tools\")&&(Psexec.exe \\targethostname -w "%windir%\system32" -i -s msiexec.exe /i "c:\tools\packagename.msi" /quiet /qn)

Note:
Good practice is to use full_filenames, like psexec.exe and msiexec.exe.
Good practice is to enclose "path\file" within quotes

\Rems

Old 30th August 2010, 12:38
Casual
Casual

sorryto day....i got simillar error in few PCS with 1603 and in other PC psexec is not a valid win32 application...

i am trying the cmd line which you gave and using psexec.exe and msiexec.exe

pls suggest me ...
Old 30th August 2010, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajitry View Post
in other PC psexec is not a valid win32 application...
Are you sure it is saying that - PSEXEC.EXE is not a valid win32 application - (and not psexesvc, msiexec, packagename.msi or something else...). How would that be possible - don't you run the psexec.exe command line manually from one and same central computer then? From where do you launch the psexec command?
Are you running psexec from within a script/batch or do you enter/paste the command line on a command prompt for every remote computer?
Does the "invalid win32 application" error occour just with one "remote" or "local" computer?

try this,
Copy the file msiexec.exe to the same network folder where the packagename.msi is.
And copy also the file Psexec.exe to that shared folder.

then run,
Code:
"\\servername\sharepath\Psexec.exe" \\targethostname -i -s "\\servername\sharepath\msiexec.exe" /i "\\servername\sharepath\packagename.msi" /quiet /qn
Use quotes around the filepaths

You use the -i switch, this will run the remote process in the System account (NT AUTHORITY\System). However he Local System account does not have any rights to access the network it uses the account Domain\computername$ when network access is necessary. So for the command line above to work, make sure the Computer account has read and excecute rights on the networkfolder.

\Rems

Old 16th September 2010, 04:46
Casual
Casual

now all started working after i copy a new psexec.exe from other PC...looks strange!! when i does the same earlier it was not working...

any how all ends well.

Thanks for all the comments
Old 18th September 2010, 09:25
Casual
Casual

I have found a gui tool for PStools utuility which is front end for Pstools http://www.davitools.com/fepstools/fepstools.aspx . Which is quite impressive tools which has all the pstools commands in the gui format. I tried to run the MSI package using the FePsTools psexec command but i was not successful. Can u pls guide me how to use this GUI tool so my task will be much easier if i want to push the software for bulk of PCs i can use this tool to complete the task.
Closed Thread