Petri.co.il forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > SBS 2008 / 2011
Petri.co.il is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

what to do about clients not reporting security status to console correctly?

what to do about clients not reporting security status to console correctly?

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 6755 times

Closed Thread

Old 1st November 2010, 03:37
Staying around

6 month star 12 month star
Default what to do about clients not reporting security status to console correctly?

First let me say I use AVG Business Edition for our solutions but do not use their firewall product. I was "boo'd" off the AVG forum as they think this question has nothing todo with AVG so...

I have three clean installs of Win7 Pro on our domain (all identical) and all just got the latest AVG BE pushed to them. Two out of the three (after a few days) still show WARNING under the security status on the console. They also have (on the client) a warning in the tray flag that shows that the an update is needed and reports out of date...but the AVG software clearly shows it is update to date on the client and server admin.

I've tried reinstalling the AVG software and still get the same behavior.

Anything on the SBS side to make clients report the truth better?

Helpful comments would be appreciated because I'm kind of tired of rude comments on other forums! Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SBS 2008 Server.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	4380   Click image for larger version

Name:	SBS APP Server-1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	4381   Click image for larger version

Name:	SBS APP Server.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	4382  
Old 1st November 2010, 10:24
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Ossian
 Reputation: Ossian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant future (1520)
Default Re: what to do about clients not reporting security status to console correctly?

Have to say I've just given up on AV reports in Windows OSes (so I presume the security console is the same) and go with the AV system.
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 1st November 2010, 14:59

Send a message via MSN to teiger
 Reputation: teiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to behold (757)
Default Re: what to do about clients not reporting security status to console correctly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboncow View Post
I've tried reinstalling the AVG software and still get the same behavior.

Anything on the SBS side to make clients report the truth better?
Is this AVG Free or AVG Paid?

Quote:
Helpful comments would be appreciated because I'm kind of tired of rude comments on other forums! Thanks.
Unhelpful comments are NOT appreciated and an attitude to people who are giving their time freely is definitely not appreciated!

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
http://www.wintra.co.il/

Im honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.
Old 3rd November 2010, 05:58
Staying around

AVG Business Edition is a paid domain based solution for servers and clients.

I've been searching high and low for over a week on how and why clients do not report correctly to the SBS Server console on security status. This was a clean install of SBS a few months ago and all clean installs of clients...and the issues are non stop!

My comment on giving useful information was clear and in no way disrespects positive input and solutions. It's amazing how many people on other forums are not interested in solutions and only opinions of a given choice in products.
Old 3rd November 2010, 09:19
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Ossian
 Reputation: Ossian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant future (1520)

I suspect it comes down to how client AV software hooks into Windows -- in the security console on the client, what does it show for the AV (oops -- saw it already shows it doesnt register).

If the AV will not talk to Windows, it will certainly not report to the SBS. If you are confident AVG is updating, just ignore the messages.
I have the same issue with McAfee, and the same solution
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 3rd November 2010, 16:16
Staying around

ha! Sounds like quite a few people have given up on that nifty reporting in SBS!

Since it is working on 38 out 42 clients...all fresh installs...I'd sure love know why it fails on just a handful! AVG forums point toward Windows and Windows forums point to AVG...and nobody knows a "for sure" of why!
Old 5th November 2010, 21:24
MVP
MVP

Reputation: Sembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud ofSembee has much to be proud of (1116)

For whatever reason the AVG product isn't making itself available to the WMI call that is used by both the Action Center and the SBS management tool. They are using the same WMI call so it isn't surprising that the results are the same. It would be the same fro any product that uses that WMI value (And quite a few do as it avoids having to maintain configurations for each AV product).

I have seen this before with AVG (and other products) and sometimes a removal and re-installation of the latest build will correct the problem. More often than not this is a problem when AVG is pushed out from their quirky management console and as such I no longer do it that way - I use the generated batch file method instead.

Simon.

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.
Old 5th November 2010, 21:27
Staying around

Great info!

I debated the batch file solution as I think I did this once for another concern when I first installed AVG...and it worked.

So we'll give that a try and I'll post the results. Reinstalls (from the quirky admin console) didn't solve the issue and I know it was a different client version number.

thanks again!
Closed Thread