Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Messaging Software > Outlook
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Outlook won't connect to Exchange

Outlook won't connect to Exchange

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 61494 times

Closed Thread

Old 3rd November 2005, 21:40
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Default Outlook won't connect to Exchange

Yesterday I installed GFI's MailEssentials and MailSecurity only to reboot and notice that Outlook could not communicate with Exchange. I can easily get to all my emails through OWA, but some users really don't like it too much and we'd much rather use Outlook. I keep getting the 0x8004011D connection errors and nothing I have found works. Taking cached mode off Outlook won't even let me bring up Outlook, as well as creating a new profile. I eventually uninstalled both products figuring one of them was giving me a problem. At this point nothing works and there is nothing out there is really helping me. GFI support says they can't help and I'll have to pay MS an I doubt they'll be able to fix it. Is a reinstall in order? I hope not
Old 4th November 2005, 03:27
Wrote the book

Reputation: danielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud of (1198)
Default Re: Outlook won't connect to Exchange

Are you 100% sure it was one of their products? I've had some good experience with them in the past. Any other direction worth lookig at?

Daniel Petri
Microsoft Senior Premier Field Engineer
MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT
Old 4th November 2005, 09:02
Administrator

Reputation: biggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to behold (943)

Have a look here and see if that helps. http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=2945
"There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!" Kenneth Lee - after being shot down during the Battle of Britain on the 18th August 1940.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 4th November 2005, 18:45
Casual
Casual

Daniel: Those were the only two things I installed 2 days ago, I didn't figured I'd have this much trouble. I've only heard good things about GFI products. I could guess it's some authentication error since I can do absolutely everything besides use Outlook to connect.

Biggles77: I saw your post about this yesterday or Wed evening and I tried doing that but I was without any luck. It sounds just like what I was having.

My client machine get some Event ID's.

I also keep getting Event ID's 3019 (MrxSmb) The redirector failed to determine the connection type.

and 40961 (LsaSrv) The Security System could not establish a secured connection with the server cifs/exchange. No authentication protocol was available.

I'm trying to see why the authentication methods have become crazy. I tried joining the exchange domain with another laptop and I get DNS Name does not exist, so I'm tracking this down slowly, but it's still weird GFI products could do this.

I think the cause is more along the lines of the 40961, but I've found nothing to assist me with this. I really don't want to reinstall the server, but I've got my bosses breathing down my neck because they want Outlook to work and a few people in the office are a bit upset they can't click on a stupid email link to send an email and copy and pasting is wasting too much time... riiiiighht.
Old 4th November 2005, 19:05
Casual
Casual

So since I tracked this down to the DNS on the Exchange server, this is very odd.

If I open my DNS snap in and open up my FLZ, I have _msdcs.DOMAIN.local and DOMAIN.local. Which is odd... my _msdcs folder has somehow moved OUTSIDE of my DOMAIN.local area. If I goto _msdcs under DOMAIN.local it's only got one entry, NS.

Now I gotta figure out how to move my records from _msdcs.DOMAIN.local to the _msdcs folder under DOMAIN.local.
Old 4th November 2005, 19:52
Administrator

Reputation: biggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to behold (943)

I had the same on my home/test domain. I had just completed the TrainSignal CBT on DNS and I wanted to try things on a "live" domain, so I just deleted the zone and created a new one. When Daniel stops cringing he will most likely tell you that is NOT the ideal thing to do in a production environment.
"There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!" Kenneth Lee - after being shot down during the Battle of Britain on the 18th August 1940.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 5th November 2005, 00:32
Wrote the book

Reputation: danielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud of (1198)

In Win2003 AD and DNS it is quite normal to have the MSDCS namespace as an external zone, and not as a subdomain of your primary zone. This is usualy done in large enterprises where there are more than one AD domains.

I suggest you check that the MSDCS zone is enabled for dymanic updates, then restart the NETLOGON service on all DCs.

If this feels wrong and you only have one domain and would like to have the MSDCS subdomain under your domain zone, just delete it, delete the delegation under your normal zone, and then re-create it (make sure you have the right name) under the domain name zone. Restart NETLOGON on all DCs.

Again, I don't think you need to do that, and I'm not sure if that will solve your issues, but it's worth trying.

Daniel Petri
Microsoft Senior Premier Field Engineer
MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT
Old 5th November 2005, 02:23
Casual
Casual

Thanks for everything, but nothing has seemed to work. I guess I happened to get the craziest problems, especially ones without a clear solution. I guess I should get to backing up everything so I can reinstall :/ Not my idea of a fun weekend.
Old 10th December 2005, 11:57
Casual
Casual

Hi,

The following url may help:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;327291

I cannot see how the GFI products could have caused this problem. It seems to be just a coincidence.

Regards,
Nicholas Sciberras
GFI Software Ltd - http://www.gfi.com
Old 15th August 2007, 02:59
Casual
Casual

I have come across this problem more than once of recent and haven't seen a single answer that worked well. Thus, I will post what has worked for me:

I determined the problem to be with DNS issues, particularly where you have an Exchange server at a different address than the web server.

For instance:

Say that your website (http://myboguswebsite.com) is hosted on a server at 209.15.133.19 but your local system hosts an Exchange server (http://mail.myboguswebsite.com) at 65.44.211.179, small changes to the DNS entries can cause this to occur.

For instance, installing a global trap of *.myboguswebsite.com pointing everything to 209.15.133.19 may change this.

Here's a workaround on Windows machines:

You need to make a change to your HOSTS file. To do this:

1) Open Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer - d'oh!) and navigate to: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

2) Locate the HOSTS file (note, there is no extension!) and open it in NotePad.

3) Below the line that reads:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Enter a line for your exchange server with the LOCAL, INTERNAL IP address - NOT the outside address. For example, if your internal network's IP scheme is 192.168.0.x and your Exchange server is located at .252, and is known on the network as "MailMan", your entry will look like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.0.252 MailMan

(NOTE: DO NOT use the external address of: 65.44.211.179!)

4) Save this file and restart Outlook. It should now work correctly.

Hope that helps everyone - especially me when I go looking for an answer to this error again and can't remember what I did before!
Closed Thread