Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > SBS 2008 / 2011
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Can't see all computers in network places

Can't see all computers in network places

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 4785 times

Closed Thread

Old 22nd February 2011, 03:18
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Default Can't see all computers in network places

Hi all and thanks for reading.

I have a weird problem, I hope someone can point me in the right direction.
We have one SBS2008 box in our network. Some computers are inside the domain and some others are in a workgroup. We've been workling well for several months. Today, people that are joined to the domain, started asking me why they don't see all the computers in their network places. You can access all the resources by its IP address (i.e. \\192.168.1.87), you can also access all the resources by its name (i.e. \\MYPC) BUT I can see only some of them in the Network. In my case, I'm using Win7 and I can only see the 2 WVista computers and one NAS... Do you have any idea of what is happening? can I rebuild and propagate again the windows names to all computers?
. We use the SBS DHCP.

Thank you very much,

Jud
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:02
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Ossian
 Reputation: Ossian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant future (1549)
Default Re: Can't see all computers in network places

What OS are the missing ones?
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:38
Casual
Casual

Thanks Ossian,

I could only browse Windows Vista computers, most of them are XP, and three NAS boxes.

I say I could because I found how to fix it:

I enabled the "computer broswser service" in the SBS 2008 box, and everything works again!

Have a great day !

Jud
Old 22nd February 2011, 14:43
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Ossian
 Reputation: Ossian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant future (1549)

Well done, and thanks for posting back
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Closed Thread