Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Client Operating Systems > Windows 7
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

New user - profile not being created

New user - profile not being created

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 7969 times

Closed Thread

Old 9th April 2011, 15:50
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Default New user - profile not being created

Upon creating a new user and attempting to login, I'm receiving the following error message: "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded." I'm running Windows 7 x64 SP1.

My current setup is:
C: drive (SSD) Program Files, Windows, ProgramData.
X: drive (HDD) Users, and everything else.

I use the Administrator account as my account. To set up the system, I created a temporary user, logged in, changed the registry to point the Users directory to the X: drive (and moved the Default and Public folders to the X:\Users directory). I then enabled the Admin account and logged in with it. This created my profile on the X drive.

However, I'm trying to create another user account to test with. The account is named "Test". I receive the quoted error message upon attempts to log in. I checked the X:\Users folder and there is no profile for the Test account, not even a folder for it. I tried copying the Default profile and renaming it, but no dice. I also verified that the folder seemed to have the proper permissions (Full Control for System, Administrator, Administrators, as the Test account was an admin account as well). There is no entry in the registry under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\ for the Test user, so I got a utility that could find that users' SID and created an entry for it, but still, I receive the original error message when trying to log in.

Any ideas?
Old 9th April 2011, 18:18

Send a message via Skype™ to tehcamel
 Reputation: tehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to behold (717)
Default Re: New user - profile not being created

there's actually a heap of articles on how to do this on the net.. let me see if i can find one for you... I've fixed it several times

Melbourne IT Support

Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point
Old 9th April 2011, 18:19

Send a message via Skype™ to tehcamel
 Reputation: tehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to behold (717)

two links:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/13...ot-loaded.html

and

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

Something in your registry is just lookin in the wrong place is all

Melbourne IT Support

Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point
Old 10th April 2011, 09:43
Administrator

Reputation: biggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to behold (865)

Not all the fixes work. Went through a lot of them last week with the same problem as the OP and even a new Profile corrupted. Finally ran a scan on the HDD and found bad sectors around the area of the Profiles.

So, if the above fixes don't work, scan the HDD for errors using either the tools supplied by the drive manufacturer or a good third party tool. This then rules in or out physical HDD and if it is ok then you can look for more software fixes.

Also, check to make sure the NTUSER.DAT file is actually in the user's Profile root. It was missing in the one I was trying to fix so that made me think of it being a physical problem and not a software one. To see NTUSER.DAT you will need to uncheck the System Files option.

Open Explorer
Organize
Folder and search options
View tab
[look at the image highlights]
Click image for larger version

Name:	unhide-system-files.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	4755
"There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!" Kenneth Lee - after being shot down during the Battle of Britain on the 18th August 1940.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Closed Thread