Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Server 2008 R2 Server Role Issues

Server 2008 R2 Server Role Issues

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 11532 times

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2011, 00:08
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Default Server 2008 R2 Server Role Issues

Hi everyone, I've just recently joined here as it seems a great place for Windows Server based administration help. My name is Greig by the way; you can call me that if you like.

So I thought someone here could perhaps help me with a strange problem that I have been experiencing over the last few months with my home domain controller. I have tried a vast number of troubleshooting techniques and research into similar issues, but I have been unable to find a solution.

Let me first give you a run through of my current setup:

I have one machine which is acting as a Domain Controller/Global Catalog and DNS server for my home network. It is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise with Service Pack 1 and all patches up until the 5th of May this year.

Server specs are:

-Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3 Rev 1.0 Motherboard with latest BIOS
-Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40 GHz CPU
-4 GB OCZ Gold DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz non-ECC, Unbuffered RAM
-1x160GB Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM SATA-300 Hard Disk (OS)
-1x1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATAII Hard Disk (Software/WDS Images
-1x1TB Western Digital Green 5400RPM SATAII Hard Disk (Storage/Backups)
-1x1TB Western Digital Green 5400RPM SATAII Hard Disk (Server backups)
-1xLITEON SATA DVD-ROM Drive
-Asus Radeon HD 4350 Video Card
-Onboard Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PC-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
-Antec EarthWatts Green 380W Power Supply

All software and device drivers up to date.

Apart from Active Directory Domain Services and DNS it also utilises a few other server roles which include:

-DHCP (With DHCP port 60 option configured for WDS PXE)
-File Services
-Windows Deployment Services

The Active Directory Database and Log files are stored in the default location of C:\Windows\NTDS which are backed up daily along with the entire contents of C: including the system state.

The server is set to point to itself (192.168.1.101) for DNS with the loopback address of 127.0.0.1 configured as the alternative address and Forwarders are configured in DNS with OpenDNS (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220)

There is one reverse lookup zone configured, and all zones are Active Directory Integrated. Ageing and Scavenging of stale records is also configured for all zones.

The issue:

After a period of time the server can no longer seem find itself, with DHCP and Windows Deployment Services showing errors in Server Manager. However, the server cannot connect to network drives or resolve internet based addresses which would indicate that there is a problem with DNS somewhere. Active Directory fails to open with the error "Naming information cannot be located for the following reason - The Server is not operational" However, Clients connected to the domain/network can still resolve web addresses and DNS queries as normal including accessing network drives.

Running dcdiag shows that it can find the home server but displays the error "Ldap search capability attribute failed on server *Server Name* return value = 81" Prior this issue dcdiag tests pass with flying colours and no errors are found.

The server has also had its motherboard changed (with different NIC's) and the OS has also been reinstalled and configured. The issue was still present in both of these cases.

The only way to resolve the issue (that I have found) is to reboot the server, although the issue appears at some point again which is usually less than a month's uptime.

I have attached copies of the event logs from ADWS, DHCP, WDS and Group Policy.

Thanks very much for taking the time to help, much appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ADWS.txt (934 Bytes, 40 views)
File Type: txt DHCP.txt (1.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: txt GP.txt (1.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: txt WDS 1.txt (894 Bytes, 15 views)
File Type: txt WDS 2.txt (1,015 Bytes, 15 views)
Old 17th May 2011, 01:16
Staying around

Default Re: Server 2008 R2 Server Role Issues

Hello, if you changed mobo, the problem isin't the nics, fresh server install, isin't the problem, what kind of software you have installed in the server? AV? anything that uses the network adapter? Have you changed the network cable that connects the server to the switch/router? never know.

Regards
Kevin
Old 17th May 2011, 01:47
Casual
Casual

The only application that is using the network adapter is WingFTP Server for accessing my home FTP, as for Anti-Virus software I use the free standalone version MalwareBytes, no background running Anti-Virus is present.

Apart from those there isn't much else installed that would cause the issue.

Adobe Reader X
FlashFXP
PerfectDisk 11 Server
WinRAR
UltraISO
Debugging Tools for Windows
Old 17th May 2011, 04:53
Casual
Casual

Hi

I'm brand new here and do not pretend to know a lot about the software. However, I have seen a lot of unexplainable problems that seemed to be software related. They all went away when I upgraded the PSU. I'm not saying yours is bad, but it may be a bit underpowered in your system.

Hank J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell90 View Post
Hi everyone, I've just recently joined here as it seems a great place for Windows Server based administration help. My name is Greig by the way; you can call me that if you like.

So I thought someone here could perhaps help me with a strange problem that I have been experiencing over the last few months with my home domain controller. I have tried a vast number of troubleshooting techniques and research into similar issues, but I have been unable to find a solution.

Let me first give you a run through of my current setup:

I have one machine which is acting as a Domain Controller/Global Catalog and DNS server for my home network. It is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise with Service Pack 1 and all patches up until the 5th of May this year.

Server specs are:

-Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3 Rev 1.0 Motherboard with latest BIOS
-Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40 GHz CPU
-4 GB OCZ Gold DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz non-ECC, Unbuffered RAM
-1x160GB Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM SATA-300 Hard Disk (OS)
-1x1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATAII Hard Disk (Software/WDS Images
-1x1TB Western Digital Green 5400RPM SATAII Hard Disk (Storage/Backups)
-1x1TB Western Digital Green 5400RPM SATAII Hard Disk (Server backups)
-1xLITEON SATA DVD-ROM Drive
-Asus Radeon HD 4350 Video Card
-Onboard Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PC-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
-Antec EarthWatts Green 380W Power Supply

All software and device drivers up to date.

Apart from Active Directory Domain Services and DNS it also utilises a few other server roles which include:

-DHCP (With DHCP port 60 option configured for WDS PXE)
-File Services
-Windows Deployment Services

The Active Directory Database and Log files are stored in the default location of C:\Windows\NTDS which are backed up daily along with the entire contents of C: including the system state.

The server is set to point to itself (192.168.1.101) for DNS with the loopback address of 127.0.0.1 configured as the alternative address and Forwarders are configured in DNS with OpenDNS (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220)

There is one reverse lookup zone configured, and all zones are Active Directory Integrated. Ageing and Scavenging of stale records is also configured for all zones.

The issue:

After a period of time the server can no longer seem find itself, with DHCP and Windows Deployment Services showing errors in Server Manager. However, the server cannot connect to network drives or resolve internet based addresses which would indicate that there is a problem with DNS somewhere. Active Directory fails to open with the error "Naming information cannot be located for the following reason - The Server is not operational" However, Clients connected to the domain/network can still resolve web addresses and DNS queries as normal including accessing network drives.

Running dcdiag shows that it can find the home server but displays the error "Ldap search capability attribute failed on server *Server Name* return value = 81" Prior this issue dcdiag tests pass with flying colours and no errors are found.

The server has also had its motherboard changed (with different NIC's) and the OS has also been reinstalled and configured. The issue was still present in both of these cases.

The only way to resolve the issue (that I have found) is to reboot the server, although the issue appears at some point again which is usually less than a month's uptime.

I have attached copies of the event logs from ADWS, DHCP, WDS and Group Policy.

Thanks very much for taking the time to help, much appreciated.
Old 17th May 2011, 14:59
Casual
Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankjay View Post
Hi

I'm brand new here and do not pretend to know a lot about the software. However, I have seen a lot of unexplainable problems that seemed to be software related. They all went away when I upgraded the PSU. I'm not saying yours is bad, but it may be a bit underpowered in your system.

Hank J.
Hi Hank, The PSU I had before the current one was a 500W Chieftech unit which ended up having a flaky +12v rail preventing the system from powering on at times. That was also with the previous motherboard, and I have since changed both that PSU including the motherboard.

The OS itself was only freshly installed and configured on the 5th of this month as I was hoping that it was only something to do with the previous installation.

The first time this ever happened was around 30 days uptime and has since been nowhere near that mark, I've kept track since then however.

Previous OS install and configuration:

30 days
25 days
19 days
14 days
18 days

New OS install and configuration

11 days

I am completely lost as to why this is happening, previous domain controllers I've configured have just seemed to work and did there thing without any trouble.

Thanks very much for the help though, I can see where you are coming from with the PSU thing. I've seen odd software issues occur in the past due to bad units, but its the idea that this issue has remained even with two PSU's, a motherboard change and an OS reinstall.

I also took kevinguerreiro's advice and changed the network cable going to my server to the switch. Its sounding like it could be some of my networking equipment that's at fault here rather than the physical machine.
Old 17th May 2011, 15:03
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Ossian
 Reputation: Ossian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant future (1587)

Have you changed the case?
I had a "haunted" server with similar symptoms -- crashes, dropouts etc and after changing everything, I put it in a new case and the problems stopped. Further analysis suggested some inadequate grounding so somehow or other the MoBo and the case were electrically connected via one of the mounting screws.

Having said that, your symptoms do not seem so extreme -- as I read it it works for some days then loses connectivity and needs rebooting?
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 17th May 2011, 15:40
Casual
Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossian View Post
Have you changed the case?
I had a "haunted" server with similar symptoms -- crashes, dropouts etc and after changing everything, I put it in a new case and the problems stopped. Further analysis suggested some inadequate grounding so somehow or other the MoBo and the case were electrically connected via one of the mounting screws.

Having said that, your symptoms do not seem so extreme -- as I read it it works for some days then loses connectivity and needs rebooting?
Yeah, technically its network connection stays up but the services seem to error out and stop working after a period of running completely fine. However, clients can still access network resources and browse the internet but the server can't.
Old 17th May 2011, 22:46
It's not a coincidence

When this issue occurs, can you ping ip addresses on your network from the server?

When you reinstalled the OS on a new box, was AD and DNS rebuilt from scratch, or could have replicated back over?

Have you tried just restarting DNS and the Active Directory Domain Services services. If that fixed it you could rule out hardware for good.

Could you be getting a corrupt arp or routing table?

Just spitting out some ideas...
Old 17th May 2011, 23:27
Casual
Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMcD View Post
When this issue occurs, can you ping ip addresses on your network from the server?

When you reinstalled the OS on a new box, was AD and DNS rebuilt from scratch, or could have replicated back over?

Have you tried just restarting DNS and the Active Directory Domain Services services. If that fixed it you could rule out hardware for good.

Could you be getting a corrupt arp or routing table?

Just spitting out some ideas...
Hi Scott,

Yes I believe that I can ping other IP addresses and hostnames on the network even when the issue is present. One thing I can't do is ping or resolve web addresses.

When I reinstalled the OS I completely rebuilt AD and DNS from scratch with a new domain name.

I haven't tried manually restarting Active Directory Domain Services or DNS but I did try to manually restart DHCP via Server manager and was presented with an error which was logged in event viewer as:

"The DHCP services failed to start as a RPC server. The following error occurred:
Not enough storage is available to complete this operation" Event ID: 1006

If I can remember correctly, restarting DNS on the older install resulted in much the same way as DHCP, where the DNS server couldn't be contacted. Its as if this entire issue is somewhat cached to this system, as a way of explaining it.

For now I have changed my network cables going from the server, switch and router and restarted all equipment.

The server is back up and all services seem to be functioning normally again as usual, but I know that won't last. I will let you all know how it goes over the next few days.

Thanks so much again for the help.

Last edited by Mitchell90; 17th May 2011 at 23:29..
Old 25th May 2011, 12:40
Casual
Casual

Seems like a issue with your AV/Malware bytes

Have a look at this

where resource exhaustion occurs due to a third party TDI (Transport Driver Interface) filter driver is installed.....which is commonly used in Anti Virus software.

i am newbie here so i can't post the link but you need to try

disable your AV/Malware
then install the following hotfix : 961775

let us know how you get no !
Closed Thread