Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Security > Forgot Administrator Password
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Lost/forgotten file password in Excel 2010/Windows 7

Lost/forgotten file password in Excel 2010/Windows 7

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 18063 times

Closed Thread

Old 26th November 2011, 20:26
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Red face Lost/forgotten file password in Excel 2010/Windows 7

I've forgotten my password for a critical (to me) Excel file. I see that Petri has/had a software that could help, Excel Password Recovery, but I don't see that it will work for Windows 7 and MS Office2010. Anyone know if I can use that software to successfully get into my file? I'm using a PC. Thanks for any help/advice!
Old 27th November 2011, 23:42

Send a message via Skype™ to tehcamel
 Reputation: tehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to behold (727)
Default Re: Lost/forgotten file password in Excel 2010/Windows 7

If the software you're referring to is for forgotten passwords for OFfice, the software should work pretty much the same, regardless of version (although there were some major changes in the document formats between O2003 and O2007.)

Best bet it to just try it.

considering whether this belongs in the forgotten pwd forum or not..

Melbourne IT Support

Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point
Old 28th November 2011, 03:10
Casual
Casual

Post Re: Lost/forgotten file password in Excel 2010/Windows 7

Thanks for your reply/advice. I bought and installed the software, then attempted to open a password-protected MS Excel 2010 file. No luck.

This was my approach (maybe that's the problem!):
  1. I started the password recovery software.
  2. I started MS Excel 2010.
  3. I attempted to open the password-protected Excel file.
  4. I got the message box telling me to type in the file password.
  5. I hovered my cursor over the area that I would have typed my password into.
Nothing happened.

Any advice?
Old 28th November 2011, 08:38

Reputation: tehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to beholdtehcamel is a splendid one to behold (727)

i don't know how to use the application unfortunately.. the ones I've used before normally load the file in question then use bruteforce..

Melbourne IT Support

Old 28th November 2011, 21:15
Casual
Casual

Thanks, Tehcamel. I appreciate your follow-through.

Anyone else have ideas for me? Please refer to my posts dated Nov 26 and Nov 27.
Old 11th December 2011, 20:42
Wrote the book

Reputation: gforceindustries is a jewel in the roughgforceindustries is a jewel in the roughgforceindustries is a jewel in the roughgforceindustries is a jewel in the rough (310)

There are lots of pieces of software available to do this. I've not had to use any, but Googling "recover excel 2010 file password" will give you some suggestions.

One question though - have you forgotten the password, or has it been changed? If the latter, restore a prior version of the file from your backups (you say it's a critical file, so it'll be backed up, right?). If you've forgotten the password, then I would suggest now would be the time to start documenting such information.

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.
Old 12th December 2011, 02:53
Casual
Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforceindustries View Post
There are lots of pieces of software available to do this. I've not had to use any, but Googling "recover excel 2010 file password" will give you some suggestions.

One question though - have you forgotten the password, or has it been changed? If the latter, restore a prior version of the file from your backups (you say it's a critical file, so it'll be backed up, right?). If you've forgotten the password, then I would suggest now would be the time to start documenting such information.
Thank you Garret for you ideas. I've forgotten the password and yes, the file is important. I do keep a secure file of such information. Unfortunately, and for some other unknown reason, my automatic backup didn't autormatically backup for several days. The file was created during the period that I had no backups. Geez, when it rains it pours, eh!?
Old 12th December 2011, 02:57
Wrote the book

Reputation: gforceindustries is a jewel in the roughgforceindustries is a jewel in the roughgforceindustries is a jewel in the roughgforceindustries is a jewel in the rough (310)

No problem, although I'm not sure where you got "Garret" from

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.
Old 12th December 2011, 12:08

i think it's a typo of Gareth

Melbourne IT Support

Old 12th December 2011, 20:39
Casual
Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforceindustries View Post
No problem, although I'm not sure where you got "Garret" from
My apologies, Gareth. I read "Gareth" and typed "Garret" by mistake. Have a great day!
Closed Thread