Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Windows Deployment Services - need x86 Capture boot image

Windows Deployment Services - need x86 Capture boot image

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 4112 times

Closed Thread

Old 29th February 2012, 21:12
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Exclamation Windows Deployment Services - need x86 Capture boot image

I have some older (very old) computers running WinXP sp3 that I would like to create a WDS image for. I took one of the computers, set it up "just so", and ran sysprep.

However, when I booted to the network PXE and connected to my Windows Deployment server, it never gave me the menu asking whether I wanted to perform a setup or a Capture - it went straight to the setup.

Looking on my WDS server, in the Boot Images, I see a setup for x86, a setup for x64, and a capture for x64. But no x86 capture. I suspect (strongly) that this is the reason.

I inherited this server from a former admin, so I will admit that I am unfamiliar with setting up or configuring WDS (only using it).

So how do I create a x86 capture image??
Old 29th February 2012, 23:15
MVM

Reputation: RicklesP has a spectacular aura aboutRicklesP has a spectacular aura about (169)
Default Re: Windows Deployment Services - need x86 Capture boot image

You create a Capture Image from the Boot Image you're already using. In the WDS console, right-click on the x86 boot image file name and select the menu option 'Create Capture Image' (or words to that effect.) A new WIM file will be created on the server hard drive that must be imported into the WDS console in that same location as the x86 and x64 boot images are. Now you have an x86 Capture image to boot your client to, so that you can capture the sealed, sysprep image.
Old 1st March 2012, 00:37
Casual
Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicklesP View Post
You create a Capture Image from the Boot Image you're already using. In the WDS console, right-click on the x86 boot image file name and select the menu option 'Create Capture Image' (or words to that effect.) A new WIM file will be created on the server hard drive that must be imported into the WDS console in that same location as the x86 and x64 boot images are. Now you have an x86 Capture image to boot your client to, so that you can capture the sealed, sysprep image.

Ah - that worked! Thank you!
Old 1st March 2012, 22:51
MVM

Reputation: RicklesP has a spectacular aura aboutRicklesP has a spectacular aura about (169)

You're more than welcome. Glad I could help.
Closed Thread