Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Network Drives connected but shown disconnected under special circumstances

Network Drives connected but shown disconnected under special circumstances

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 10969 times

Closed Thread

Old 9th March 2012, 10:57
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Default Network Drives connected but shown disconnected under special circumstances

Hi Guys, I'm dealing with a very particular problem. At first glace this may seem like a simple problem, but please read completely.

Here is the situation

Domain computers are connected to a SBS2011 server which maps drives though GP's. All drives are showing up as connected and are working as expected in most scenarios. The only time when they are shown up as disconnected or have a red X beside them is when using the Browse... dialog box.

For example..
When looking through explorer, the drives look and function as connected. Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 2875
Size:  4.5 KB

The Net Use command shows all drives as connected and status as OK

So everything looks and acts good.

However,

When using the browse for dialog box, as is used it some programs, is shows them as disconnected. The easiest way to get to this input command is to open up Device Manager > click on something installed > click update drivers..

Then select browse my computer.. which will bring up the "browse..."dialog box Name:  Capture2.PNG
Views: 2880
Size:  4.8 KB

which shows the following:

Name:  Capture3.PNG
Views: 2890
Size:  7.3 KB

showing the network drives as "disconnected"

If I click one of the drives then cancel out of the windows and REENTER the windows it will show it as connected.

Name:  Capture4.PNG
Views: 2887
Size:  7.5 KB

So some how it is creating a different kind of connection which not previously there.

Could someone else check there server and see if this is the case? I manage multiple networks and computers and this seems to be the case in each on, even from the server itself. Up will now it hasn't been a problem, and to be honest I don't think something is wrong, however, it might be a way that Server 2008 R2 deals with this type of connection. The servers are SBS 2011, but I don't think that the SBS portion has anything to do with it, it would seem to me that it's a server 2008 R2 setting somewhere.

The problem is that there is a new software package which relies on this method of connection to work and until it works it will fail.

Any ideas?
Thanks a lot of your help.

Last edited by Digital Pulley; 10th March 2012 at 09:12.. Reason: spelling
Old 11th March 2012, 06:10
Casual
Casual

Default Re: Network Drives connected but shown disconnected under special circumstances

I had the same issue at one customer that I upgraded to 2008R2

The setting was (I think) in the local security policy, default network drive disconnect was 15 min, had to change it to 99999

Also had another link for the same type issue
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684#appliesto
Old 11th March 2012, 13:51
Casual
Casual

Exclamation Re: Network Drives connected but shown disconnected under special circumstances

Thank you very much for trying to help.

While trying to troubleshoot this problem, I did have similar thoughts and tried changing the settings, as a test, on both the server and a client to:

Idle session time (min)
Autodisconnect: -1

I've just had another look incase the local security policies were changing it back, and have confirmed that both the server and the client are both at this state using the NET CONFIG SERVER command.

I've also gone down the road with the NETSH INT TCP commands and tried a few different varieties of settings. But unfortunately I'm not there yet..

Furthermore, I've watched the sessions on the server and can see the computer access the file share, and even open files but the drive from the browse view still shows it as disconnected.

Would it be possible to check that server and see it's setting via these commands and others?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Digital Pulley; 11th March 2012 at 14:11..
Closed Thread