Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Add server to existing domain

Add server to existing domain

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 28610 times

Closed Thread

Old 14th June 2006, 11:23
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Default Add server to existing domain

Can someone help me with a quick questions
I have just setup a 2003 server that is setup as the DC, I also have a 2000 server that will be the TS server, how do i join the 200 server to the domain so it acts as a server and Active directory and so on is linked/replicated to the DC

Thanks all
Old 14th June 2006, 11:31

Reputation: wullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to behold (861)
Default Re: Add server to existing domain

You run DCPROMO on the 2000 server.
Old 14th June 2006, 15:17
Casual
Casual

Cheers do you need to join the domain first ?
or DC Promo straight up ?
Old 14th June 2006, 15:18

Reputation: wullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to behold (861)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0
Cheers do you need to join the domain first ?
or DC Promo straight up ?
Personally i always join the domain first then run DCPROMO.

I have seen others not doing this though.
Old 14th June 2006, 18:59
[MSFT]
Guru

Send a message via MSN to guyt
 Reputation: guyt is a name known to allguyt is a name known to allguyt is a name known to allguyt is a name known to allguyt is a name known to allguyt is a name known to all (592)

should work either way as long as you are pointing to the correct DNS (the DNS that hosts the AD zones)
Old 15th June 2006, 01:17
Casual
Casual

Cheers all
Old 15th June 2006, 09:14
Casual
Casual

I have just setup a new domain with a 2003 server as the PDC and a 2000 server as the TS server, now I have setup replication for active directory and DNS on this TS server, I have also made this server a global catalog server, is there anything else I need to do to Make this a Backup Domain Controller (DHCP or other things)?
If the time comes and the PDC dies does the secondary automatically take over the domain logging on, DNS and so on ? or do I have to do soemthing to tell it to ?

Second question, I have a third server running windows 2003, it will be at a different site to this server but connected via a permenant VPN link, I have no firewalls on the VPN and full access through the tunnel is ok, I can ping the PDC and BDC from server three, Can I just DCpromo this like normal, and replicate the active directory ? I would assume I dont replicate the DNS do I as it is from a different subnet or do I set this up the same as the TS server and the 1 DNS will house the records for both subnets and 3 servers, will this also make this third server a backup domain controller for the remote location.
Old 15th June 2006, 09:37
Casual
Casual

Hi,

So , let me see if i understood correctly.
Did you actually promoted the win 2000 TS as an additional DC for your domain?
How is your DNS setup ?
AS standard primary zone or AD integrated?
If you have on windows 2003 server DC setup DNS zone as AD integrated then your zone is keeps in AD and replicated along with AD replication on all DC in domain. If you wan the TS to keep dns also just setup it as AD integrated and will replicate through AD replication.
For DHCP it can be installed on the TS and also setup for dynamic registering clients in DNS,but it's not a rule to install DHCP server on DCs.
In a domain there are 3 FSMO roles keept by domain controllers. I assume that windows 2003 is the first DCs in your domain, so it is also PDC, RID master and Ifrastructure master.You can spreed this roles on DCs, but keep in mind that only one DC can be setup as one of this roles in a domain.

for the second i think you can create a diferent site and place that server in that site and promote it to a DC if you VPn connection is very reliable.
Maybe other have better solutions or more completations,but i did not understand quite well how you want to setup your infrastructure

Regards,
Calin
Old 15th June 2006, 09:58
Casual
Casual

Yes thank you
The PDC is the main DNS, DHCP and Master for all operations.
The 2000 server is setup as a secondary DNS server off the PDC also replicating the AD, I will setup the third server over the VPN the same way.

Do you know how it works if the PDC fails does the backup server take over automatically or do I need to promte it to PDC or sometihng ?

Cheers
Old 15th June 2006, 10:23
Casual
Casual

Well, the PDC role in a domain it is an important role. So if the server will go offline,for the moment , you don't have much problems (but this is for a short time).
So you will have to try to bring back on line and if you want to replace the server you must transfer the role to another DC.
If you can't bring it online then you'll have to Seize the role to another DC (this means that you have to force transfer).
You won't be able to change passwords, NT4.0 BDC will not replicate, problems with time sync in domain and also managing GP.

Regards,
Calin