Petri.com forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2
Petri.com is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Assigning an IP to a notebook via a wireless access point

Assigning an IP to a notebook via a wireless access point

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2326 times

Closed Thread

Old 14th August 2006, 05:37
Someone to look up to

6 month star 12 month star
Default Assigning an IP to a notebook via a wireless access point

One of the directors went out and bought a wireless router so that he can use his notebook within the office wirelessly. He now wants me to set it up as a Wireless Access Point.

My question is, if I setup the router as an Access Point, how will the settings from the DHCP server propagate to the wireless client?

I can't see how the DHCP server options are going to be sent to any clients on the wireless network. How is this going to work?

Windows 2003 domain. WinXP client. Netgear WGR614 V6.
+-- System Admin, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
|
Old 14th August 2006, 11:21
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Ossian
 Reputation: Ossian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant futureOssian has a brilliant future (1567)
Default Re: Assigning an IP to a notebook via a wireless access point

Can't speak for this particular router, but I have installed other routers as WAPs with no problems including DHCP. Make sure the router has DHCP disabled, no WAN connections set up and set its default gateway (if it has one) to the regular LAN gateway.

Basically, try it -- if it doesnt work, tell him that its a router, not a WAP, and to get the proper kit.

You could also give his laptop a static IP

Tom
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 14th August 2006, 16:30
Administrator

Reputation: biggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to behold (870)

Make a connection from one of the 4 LAN ports on the WRG 614 to a switch on the network. As Tom said, turn off DHCP and change the default password on the WRG 614. Also consider some sort of security like WEP, WPA and MAC filtering. Read the manual as it tell you what you need to do. That's how I set one up.
"There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!" Kenneth Lee - after being shot down during the Battle of Britain on the 18th August 1940.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 15th August 2006, 05:07
Someone to look up to

Seems to be working! Thanks all.
+-- System Admin, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
|
Closed Thread